The overarching theme of our research is to determine the controls and regulators of communication between the chloroplast and nucleus. This includes discovery of genes and metabolites involved in epigenetics, RNA metabolism, chloroplast-nuclear signaling, translational regulation, carotenoid biosynthesis, photosynthesis and drought.
The Pogson Group plays a key role in the Australian Research Council Laureate Fellowship funded project aiming to produce transformative solutions targeting crop resilience and food security. The chloroplast, the site of photosynthesis, regulates a suite of cellular processes that control photosynthesis, growth and drought resilience. It is expected that a first ever blueprint of the suite of communication networks used by the chloroplast will be discovered. I will use synthetic biology to rewire the network in order to generate 'smart plants' that are higher-yielding and more resilient in both good and bad seasons by precisely switching on and off resilience. Such re-imaginings of crop systems, inclusive of societal implications, will help chart the future of Australian agriculture.
The ARC Training Centre for Accelerated Future Crop Development if offering bespoke training for 20+ PhD students across The Australian National University and The University of Adelaide connecting students with industry partners offering unique project and career opportunities. The Centre is create a new generation of leaders in the implementation of advanced gene and field technologies for the benefit of the Australian agriculture industry. We are building a workforce and foundations that will drive translation of breakthroughs in advanced breeding, phenotyping and genetic technologies into higher-yielding crops. This will increase productivity across the sector and create new markets. Our technical training programs for graduates, trainees and industry will interface with best evidence-based practices in the wider socio-economic, regulatory and environmental contexts. Coupled with community and stakeholder engagement, the Centre will redefine and secure Australia’s future in agriculture.
- ARC Laureate Fellowship 2019 Smart Plants and Solutions for Enhancing Crop Resilience and Yield (FL190100056) 2020-2025
- ARC Training Centre for Accelerated Future Crop Development 2021 (IC210100047). 2022- 2027.
- ARC Discovery Project 2022 Regulators of protein translation reveal new pathways to plant productivity (DP220103640) 2022-2024
FCTC Innovation Fellows
FCTC Chief Executive Officer
FCTC Project Officer
Senior Technical Officer
Special Project Student
X Hou, Y Alagoz, R Welsch, MD Mortimer, BJ Pogson, CI Cazzonelli (2023) Reducing PSY activity fine-tunes threshold levels of a cis-carotene-derived signal that regulates the PIF3/HY5 module and plastid biogenesis. bioRxiv, 2023.06.29.546996.
RP McQuinn, J Leroux, J Sierra, L Escobar‐Tovar, S Frusciante, E Jean Finnegan, Gianfranco Diretto, Giovanni Giuliano, James J Giovannoni, Patricia León, Barry J Pogson (2023) Deregulation of ζ‐carotene desaturase in Arabidopsis and tomato exposes a unique carotenoid‐derived redundant regulation of floral meristem identity and function. The Plant Journal.
M Balasubramanian, A Ghanbarzadegan, W Sohn, A Killedar, P Sivaprakash, A Holden, S Norris, A Wilson, B Pogson, G Liston, L Chor, A Yaacoub, A Masoe, K Clarke, R Chen, A Milat, Carmen Huckel Schneider C (2023) Primary school mobile dental program in New South Wales, Australia: protocol for the evaluation of a state government oral health initiative. BMC Public Health 23 (1), 363.
AF Bowerman, CS Byrt, SJ Roy, SM Whitney, JC Mortimer, RA Ankeny, Matthew Gilliham, Dabing Zhang, Anthony A Millar, Greg J Rebetzke, Barry J Pogson (2023) Potential abiotic stress targets for modern genetic manipulation. The Plant Cell 35 (1), 139-161.
A Garcia, O Gaju, AF Bowerman, SA Buck, JR Evans, RT Furbank, Matthew Gilliham, A Harvey Millar, Barry J Pogson, Matthew P Reynolds, Yong‐Ling Ruan, Nicolas L Taylor, Stephen D Tyerman, Owen K Atkin (2023) Enhancing crop yields through improvements in the efficiency of photosynthesis and respiration. New Phytologist 237 (1), 60-77.
N Dhami, BJ Pogson, DT Tissue, CI Cazzonelli (2022) A foliar pigment-based bioassay for interrogating chloroplast signalling revealed that carotenoid isomerisation regulates chlorophyll abundance. Plant Methods 18 (1), 1-16.
DR Ganguly, P Wilson, G Estavillo, X Hou, B Pogson (2022) CTAB genomic DNA extraction from Arabidopsis leaf material.
S Signorelli, A Wijerathna-Yapa, R Fenske, DR Ganguly, E Stroeher, L Li. (2022) Methylglyoxal catabolism is induced in autophagy mutants during photomorphogenesis. The American Society of Plant Biologists.
AB Smith, DR Ganguly, M Moore, AF Bowerman, Y Janapala, N Shirokikh (2022) Dynamics of mRNA fate during light stress and recovery: from transcription to stability and translation. bioRxiv, 2022.06. 10.495589.
L Li, O Duncan, DR Ganguly, CP Lee, PA Crisp, A Wijerathna-Yapa (2022) Enzymes degraded under high light maintain proteostasis by transcriptional regulation in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 119 (20), e2121362119.
L Chen, DR Ganguly, SH Shafik, M Ermakova, BJ Pogson (2022) CPL Grof. Elucidating the role of SWEET13 in phloem loading of the C4 grass Setaria viridis. The Plant Journal 109 (3), 615-632.
J Leroux, TT Truong, BJ Pogson, RP McQuinn (2022) Detection and analysis of novel and known plant volatile apocarotenoids. Methods in Enzymology 670, 311-368.
N Dhami, BJ Pogson, DT Tissue, CI Cazzonelli (2021) A Foliar Pigment-Based Bioassay for Interrogating Chloroplast Signalling Reveals that Chlorophyll Biosynthesis Requires Carotenoid Isomerisation (2021).
A Wijerathna‐Yapa, S Signorelli, R Fenske, DR Ganguly, E Stroeher, L Li, Barry J Pogson, Owen Duncan, A Harvey Millar (2021) Autophagy mutants show delayed chloroplast development during de‐etiolation in carbon limiting conditions. The Plant Journal 108 (2), 459-477.
M Reynolds, OK Atkin, M Bennett, M Cooper, IC Dodd, MJ Foulkes, Claus Frohberg, Graeme Hammer, Ian R Henderson, Bingru Huang, Viktor Korzun, Susan R McCouch, Carlos D Messina, Barry J Pogson, Gustavo A Slafer, Nicolas L Taylor, Peter E Wittich (2021) Addressing research bottlenecks to crop productivity. Trends in Plant Science 26 (6), 607-630.
A Wijerathna-Yapa, S Signorelli, R Fenske, DR Ganguly, E Stroeher, L Li, Barry J Pogson, Owen Duncan, A Harvey Millar (2021) Autophagy promotes photomorphogenesis during seedling development in Arabidopsis in carbon limiting conditions. bioRxiv, 2021.03. 25.437007.
L Escobar‐Tovar, J Sierra, A Hernández‐Muñoz, RP McQuinn, S Mathioni, Elizabeth Cordoba, Catherine Colas des Francs‐Small, Blake C Meyers, Barry Pogson, Patricia León (2021) Deconvoluting apocarotenoid‐mediated retrograde signaling networks regulating plastid translation and leaf development. The Plant Journal 105 (6), 1582-1599.
M Moore, AB Smith, M Wegener, C Wesemann, S Schmidtpott, MA Farooq, Diep Ray Ganguly, Thorsten Seidel, Barry J Pogson, Karl-Josef Dietz (2021) Retrograde Control of Cytosolic Translation Targets Synthesis of Plastid Proteins and Nuclear Responses for High-Light Acclimation. bioRxiv, 2021.02. 18.431817.
O Atkin, MP Reynolds, MJ Bennett, M Cooper, IC Dodd, MJ Foulkes, Claus Frohberg, Graeme Hammer, Ian R Henderson, Bingru Huang, Viktor Korzun, Susan R McCouch, Barry Pogson (2021) Addressing Research Bottlenecks to Crop Productivity. Elsevier.
M Moore, A Smith, C Wesemann, S Schmidtpott, M Wegener, MA Farooq, T Seidel, B Pogson, KJ Dietz (2021) Retrograde control of cytosolic translation targets synthesis of plastid localized proteins and nuclear responses for efficient light acclimation. bioRxiv.
JL Watkins, BJ Pogson (2020) Prospects for carotenoid biofortification targeting retention and catabolism. Trends in plant science 25 (5), 501-512.
FAA Rashid, PA Crisp, Y Zhang, O Berkowitz, BJ Pogson, DA Day, Josette Masle, Roderick C Dewar, James Whelan, Owen K Atkin, Andrew P Scafaro (2020) Molecular and physiological responses during thermal acclimation of leaf photosynthesis and respiration in rice. Plant, cell & environment 43 (3), 594-610.
CI Cazzonelli, X Hou, Y Alagoz, J Rivers, N Dhami, J Lee, S Marri, Barry J Pogson (2020) A cis-carotene derived apocarotenoid regulates etioplast and chloroplast development. Elife 9, e45310.
JL Watkins, M Li, RP McQuinn, KX Chan, HE McFarlane, M Ermakova, Robert T Furbank, Daryl Mares, Chongmei Dong, Kenneth J Chalmers, Peter Sharp, Diane E Mather, Barry J Pogson (2019) A GDSL esterase/lipase catalyzes the esterification of lutein in bread wheat. The Plant Cell 31 (12), 3092-3112.
DR Ganguly, BAB Stone, AF Bowerman, SR Eichten, BJ Pogson (2019) Excess Light Priming in Arabidopsis thaliana Genotypes with Altered DNA Methylomes. G3: Genes, Genomes, Genetics 9 (11), 3611-3621.
AK Yadav, AJ Carroll, GM Estavillo, GJ Rebetzke, BJ Pogson (2019) Wheat drought tolerance in the field is predicted by amino acid responses to glasshouse-imposed drought. Journal of Experimental Botany 70 (18), 4931-4948.
O Coast, S Shah, A Ivakov, O Gaju, PB Wilson, BC Posch, CJ Bryant, Anna Clarissa A Negrini, John R Evans, Anthony G Condon, Viridiana Silva‐Pérez, Matthew P Reynolds, Barry J Pogson, A Harvey Millar, Robert T Furbank, Owen K Atkin (2019) Predicting dark respiration rates of wheat leaves from hyperspectral reflectance. Plant, Cell & Environment 42 (7), 2133-2150.
D Eriksson, D Kershen, A Nepomuceno, BJ Pogson, H Prieto, Kai Purnhagen, Stuart Smyth, Justus Wesseler, Agustina Whelan (2019) A comparison of the EU regulatory approach to directed mutagenesis with that of other jurisdictions, consequences for international trade and potential steps forward. New Phytologist 222 (4), 1673-1684.
JY Rivers, TT Truong, BJ Pogson, RP McQuinn (2019) Volatile apocarotenoid discovery and quantification in Arabidopsis thaliana: optimized sensitive analysis via HS-SPME-GC/MS. Metabolomics 15, 1-13.
T Rungrat, AA Almonte, R Cheng, PJ Gollan, T Stuart, EM Aro, JO Borevitz, Barry Pogson, Pip B Wilson (2019) A Genome‐Wide Association Study of Non‐Photochemical Quenching in response to local seasonal climates in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Direct 3 (5), e00138.
KX Chan, B Pogson, CJ Jackson (2019) Control Of Protein Activity. IP Australia.
C Zhao, Y Wang, KX Chan, DB Marchant, PJ Franks, D Randall, EE Tee, Guang Chen, Sunita Ramesh, Su Yin Phua, Ben Zhang, Adrian Hills, Fei Dai, Dawei Xue, Matthew Gilliham, Steve Tyerman, Eviatar Nevo, Feibo Wu, Guoping Zhang, Gane K-S Wong, James H Leebens-Mack, Michael Melkonian, Michael R Blatt, Pamela S Soltis, Douglas E Soltis, Barry J Pogson, Zhong-Hua Chen (2019) Evolution of chloroplast retrograde signaling facilitates green plant adaptation to land. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 116 (11), 5015-5020.
B Osmond, WS Chow, BJ Pogson, SA Robinson (2019) Probing functional and optical cross-sections of PSII in leaves during state transitions using fast repetition rate light induced fluorescence transients. Functional Plant Biology 46 (6), 567-583.
2011- 2014 publications, 56 publications since 2008 (see complete list)
- Avendaño-Vázquez, AO, Cordoba, E, Llamas, E, San Román, C, Nisar, N, De la Torre, S, Ramos-Vega, M, de la Luz Gutiérrez-Nava, M, Cazzonelli, C, Pogson, BJ, and Leon (2014) An uncharacterised apocarotenoid-derived signal generated in zeta-carotene desaturase mutants controls leaf development, chloroplast and nuclear gene expression in Arabidopsis Plant Cell.
- Brown TB, Cheng R, Sirault XR, Rungrat T, Murray KD, Trtilek M, Furbank RT, Badger M, Pogson BJ, Borevitz JO. TraitCapture: genomic and environment modelling of plant phenomic data. Curr Opin Plant Biol. 2014 Apr;18C:73-79. doi: 10.1016/j.pbi.2014.02.002. Epub 2014 Mar 16. Review.
- Van Norman JM, Zhang J, Cazzonelli CI, Pogson BJ, Harrison PJ, Bugg TD, Chan KX, Thompson AJ, Benfey PN. Periodic root branching in Arabidopsis requires synthesis of an uncharacterized carotenoid derivative. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014 Apr 1;111(13):E1300-9. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1403016111. Epub 2014 Mar 17. PMID: 24639533
- Nisar N, Cuttriss AJ, Pogson BJ, Cazzonelli CI. The promoter of the Arabidopsis PIN6 auxin transporter enabled strong expression in the vasculature of roots, leaves, floral stems and reproductive organs. Plant Signal Behav. 2014 Jan 31;9(1). pii: e27898. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:24487186
- Pogson BJ and Albrecht, V (2014) An overview of chloroplast biogenesis and development. IN Plastid Biology, Eds SM Theg and F-A Wollman, Advances in Plant Biology, Springer (in press).
- Estavillo, GM, Verhertbruggen, Y, Pogson, BJ, Heazlewood, J, Scheller, HV and Ito, J (2014) Isolation of the plant cytosolic fraction for proteomic analysis. Methods in Molecular Biology 1072: 453-67, PMID: 24136540.
- Jung, H-S, Crisp, P, Estavillo, GM, Cole, B, Hong, F, Mockler, T, Pogson, BJ and Chory J (2013) A Subset of Heat Shock Transcription Factors Required for the Early Response of Arabidopsis to Excess Light. Proc. Natl. Acad. USA, online early doi:10.1073/pnas.1311632110.
- Albrecht-Borth, V, Fan, D, Collinge, D Marri, S, Kauss, D, Hu, Y, Liebers, M, Apel, K, Pfannschmidt, T Chow, WS, Pogson, BJ (2013) A novel proteinase, SCO4, is required for photosynthetic acclimation to higher light intensities in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology, online early doi:10.1104/pp.113.216036.
- Cazzonelli, CI, Vanstraelen, M, Yin, K Carron-Arthur, A, Nisar, N, Tarle, G, Cuttriss, AJ, Searle, IS, Simon, S, Benkova, E, Mathesius, U, Masle, J, Friml, J, and Pogson, BJ (2013) Role of the Arabidopsis PIN6 auxin transporter in auxin homeostasis and auxin-mediated development. PLoS ONE 8(7):e70069.
- Estavillo, GM, Verhertbruggen, Y, Pogson, BJ, Heazlewood, J, Scheller, HV and Ito, J (2013) Isolation of the plant cytosolic fraction for proteomic analysis. Methods in Molecular Biology.
- Caliandro, R, Nagel, KA, Kastenholz, B, Bassi, R Li, Z, Niyogi, KK, Pogson, BJ, Schurr U and Matsubura, S (2013) Effects of altered α- and β-branch carotenoid biosynthesis on photoprotection and whole-plant acclimation of Arabidopsis to photo-oxidative stress. Plant, Cell & Environment 36:438-453
- Carmody, M and Pogson, BJ (2013) Systemic photo-oxidative stress signaling. IN Long-Distance Systemic Signaling and Communication in Plants. Ed F. Baluska, Springer, Dordrecht pp 251-274.
- Pogson BJ and Albrecht, V (2012) An overview of chloroplast biogenesis and development. IN Plastid Biology, Eds SM Theg and F-A Wollman, Advances in Plant Biology, Springer (in press).
- Nisar, N, Verma, S, Pogson, BJ and Cazzonelli, CI (2013) Inflorescence stem grafting made easy in Arabidopsis. Plant Methods 8:50.
- Husen, J, Förster, B, Chow, WS, Pogson, BJ and Osmond, CB (2013) Decreased photochemical efficiency of Photosystem II following sunlight exposure of shade-grown leaves of avocado (Persea americana Mill.): because of, or in spite of, two kinetically distinct xanthophyll cycles? Plant Physiology 161:836-852 doi:10.1104/pp.112.209692.
- Chan, KX, Wirtz, M, Phua, SY, Estavillo, GM and Pogson, BJ (2013) Balancing metabolites in drought: the sulfur assimilation conundrum. Trends in Plant Science 18:18-29.
- Gordon, MJ, Carmody, ME, Albrecht, V and Pogson, BJ (2012) Systemic and local responses to repeated HL stress-induced retrograde signaling in Arabidopsis. Frontiers in Plant Physiology 3:303 doi: 10.3389/fpls.2012.00303.>
- Estavillo, GM, Chan, KX, Phua, SY and Pogson, BJ (2012) Reconsidering the nature and mode of action of metabolite retrograde signals from the chloroplast. Frontiers in Plant Physiology 3:300 doi: 10.3389/fpls.2012.00300
- Matsubara, S, Förster, B, Waterman, M, Robinson, SA, Pogson, BJ, Gunning, B and Osmond, CB (2012) From ecophysiology to phenomics: some implications of photoprotection and shade-sun acclimation in situ for dynamics of thylakoids in vitro. Phil. Transactions Royal Society B doi:10.1098/rstb.2012.0072
- Zhang, B, Carrie, C, Ivanova, A, Narsai, R, Murcha, MW, Duncan, O, Wang, Y, Law, SR, Albrecht, V, Pogson, BJ, Giraud, E, van Aken, O and Whelan J (2012) LETM proteins play a role in the accumulation of mitochondrially encoded proteins in Arabidopsis thaliana and AtLETM2 displays parent of origin effects. J. Biol. Chem. jbc.M112.383836. First Published on October 5, 2012, doi:10.1074/jbc.M112.383836.
- Gruissem, W, Lee, C-H, Oliver, M and Pogson, B (2012) The Global Plant Council: Increasing the impact of plant research to meet global challenges. J. Plant Biol. 55: 343-348/li>
- Williams, M, Lean, M, Pogson, B and Martin, C (2012) Plants, food and human health: You are what you eat? Plant Cell 24 (4) tpc.112.tt0412
- Nichol, CJ, Pieruschka, R, Takayama, K, Förster, B, Kolber, Z, Rascher, U, Grace, J, Robinson, SA, Pogson, BJ, and Osmond, CB (2012) Canopy conundrums: exploring the envelope of reversible down-regulation of photosynthesis in the outer and inner canopy to scale observations from the leaf to the landscape. Functional Plant Biology 39:1-24.
- Tanz, SK, Kilian, J, Johnsson, C, Apel, K, Small, ID, Harter, K, Wanke, K, Pogson, BJ and Albrecht, V (2012) The SCO2 protein disulphide isomerase is required for thylakoid biogenesis and interacts with LCHB1 chlorophyll a/b binding proteins which affects chlorophyll biosynthesis in Arabidopsis seedlings. Plant Journal 69: 743-54. (featured article and cover)
- Estavillo, GM, Crisp, PA, Pornsiriwong, W, Wirtz, M, Collinge, D, Carrie, C, Giraud, E, Whelan, J, David, P, Javot, H, Brearley, C, Hell, R, Marin, E and Pogson, BJ (2011) Evidence for a SAL1-PAP Chloroplast Retrograde Pathway that Functions in Drought and High Light Signaling in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 23: 3992-4012
- Cuttriss, AJ, Cazzonelli, CI, Wurtzel, ET and Pogson, BJ (2011) Vitamin A (carotenoids). IN Biosynthesis of vitamins in Plants, Eds F. Rébeillé and R. Douce, Advances in Botanical Research
- Hirsch J, Misson J, Crisp PA, David P, Bayle V, Estavillo GM, Javot H, Chiarenza S, Mallory AC, Maizel A, Declerck M, Pogson BJ, Vaucheret H, Crespi M, Desnos T, Thibaud M-C, Nussaume L, Marin E (2011) A Novel fry1 Allele Reveals the Existence of a Mutant Phenotype Unrelated to 5'->3' Exoribonuclease (XRN) Activities in Arabidopsis thaliana. Roots. PLoS ONE 6(2): e16724
- Förster, B, Pogson, BJ and Osmond CB (2011) Lutein from de-epoxidation of lutein epoxide replaces zeaxanthin to sustain an enhanced capacity for non-photochemical chlorophyll fluorescence quenching in avocado shade leaves in the dark. Plant Physiol. 156: 393-403.
- Pogson, BJ, and Albrecht, V (2011) Genetic dissection of chloroplast biogenesis and development: an overview. Plant Physiol. 155:1545-1551.
- *Woo, NS, *Gordon, MJ, Graham, SR, Rossel, JB, Badger, MR and Pogson, BJ (2011) A mutation in the purine biosynthetic enzyme ATASE2 impacts high light signalling and acclimation responses in green and chlorotic sectors of Arabidopsis leaves. Functional Plant Biology 38:401-419.
- Albrecht V, Estavillo GM, Cuttriss AJ and Pogson BJ (2011) Identifying chloroplast biogenesis and signalling mutants in Arabidopsis thaliana. Methods in Molecular Biology 684:257-72.
Selected earlier publications
- Albrecht, V, Šimková, K, Carrie, C, Delannoy, E, Giraud, E Whelan, J, Small, I Apel, K, Badger, M and Pogson, BJ (2010) The cytoskeleton and the peroxisomal-targeted SNOWY COTYLEDON 3 protein are required for chloroplast development in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 22(10):3423-38.
- Che, P, Bussell, JD Zhou, W Estavillo, G, Pogson, BJ, Smith SM (2010) Signaling from the Endoplasmic Reticulum Activates Brassinosteroid Signaling and Promotes Acclimation to Stress in Arabidopsis. Science Signaling 3 (141), ra69. [DOI: 10.1126/scisignal.2001140].
- Cazzonelli CI and Pogson BJ. (2010) A balance between source and sink: regulation of carotenoid composition in plants. Trends in Plant Science 15(5): 266-274
- Cazzonelli, CI, Cuttriss, AJ, Cossetto, SB, Pye, W, Whelan, J, Finnegan, J, Turnbull, C and Pogson, BJ (2009) Epigenetic regulation of carotenoid composition in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 21: 39-53.
- Wilson, PB, Estavillo, GM, Field, KJ, Carroll, AJ, Pornsiriwong, W, Howell, KA, Lake, JA, Millar, AH, von Caemmerer, S, Pogson, BJ (2009) The nucleotidase/phosphatase, SAL1, is a negative regulator of drought tolerance in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 58: 299-317
- Delannoy, E, Le Ret, M, Faivre-Nitschke, SE, Estavillo, GM, Bergdoll, M, Taylor, NL, Pogson, BJ, Small, ID, Imbault, P, and Gualberto, JM (2009) Arabidopsis tRNA adenosine deaminase (TADA) is responsible for editing the wobble nucleotide of chloroplast tRNAArg(ACG), a modification essential for efficient chloroplast translation. Plant Cell 21: 2058-2071
- Millar, AH, Carrie, C, Pogson, BJ and Whelan J (2009) Exploring the function:location nexus - using multiple lines of evidence in defining the subcellular location of plant proteins. Plant Cell 21: 1625-1631.
- Rossel, JB Wilson, PB, Hussain, D, Woo, NS, Gordon, MJ, Mewett, OP, Howell, KA, Whelan, J, Kazan, K, Pogson, BJ (2007) Systemic and Intracellular Response to Photooxidative stress in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 19: 4091-4110. (ISI highly cited)
- Pogson, B.J., Woo, NS, Förster B and Small, ID (2008) Plastid signalling to the nucleus and beyond. Trends in Plant Science 13 (11): 602-609 (ISI highly cited)
- DellaPenna, D. and Pogson, B.J. (2006) Vitamin synthesis in plants: tocopherols and carotenoids. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 711-738 (ISI highly cited)
- Millgate, A.G., Pogson, B.J., Wilson, I.W., Zenk, M.H., Gerlach, W.L., Fist, A.J. and Larkin, P.J. (2004) A morphine-free mutant of opium poppy - changing the poppy analgesic industry. Nature 431:413-414.
- Park H., Kreunen S.S., Cuttriss, A.J., DellaPenna, D., Pogson B.J. (2002) Identification of the carotenoid isomerase provides insight into carotenoid biosynthesis, prolamellar body formation and photomorphogenesis. Plant Cell 14: 321-332. (ISI highly cited)
- Pogson B.J., Niyogi K.K., Björkman O., and DellaPenna D. (1998) Altered xanthophyll compositions adversely affect chlorophyll accumulation and nonphotochemical quenching in Arabidopsis mutants. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 95: 13324-29.
- Pogson B.J., McDonald K., Truong M., Britton G., and DellaPenna D. (1996) Arabidopsis carotenoid mutants demonstrate lutein is not essential for photosynthesis in higher plants. Plant Cell 8: 1627-1639.