The Research School of Biology (RSB) at the Australian National University takes inclusion, equity and diversity seriously. RSB aims to maintain and improve an inclusive working environment where RSB staff and students can work and study regardless of their gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, background, age, or religion.
To improve inclusivity, RSB has the following initiatives:
- The RSB Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access Committee is comprised of representatives of staff and students in the School. The Committee aims to support engagement with diversity and inclusion as core RSB priorities. The Committee encourages all School students and staff to embrace opportunities for involvement with the Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access Committee. Please do not hesitate to contact any member of the Committee about any ideas, concerns, or advice. The quarterly Committee meetings are open to all staff and students.
- School-supported events consider equity and diversity as part of their planning.
- RSB has private rooms for breastfeeding, families, prayers or if a quiet, private space is needed.
- School-level meetings and all major school events including School seminars and lectures are scheduled between 9.30 am to 2.30 pm when possible.
- The ANU LGBTIQA+ Ally Network is made up of a group of staff and students who are committed to providing an inclusive and respectful environment for people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer or asexual (LGBTIQA+).
- The Respectful Relationships Unit (RRU) provides training, hosts events, and facilitates networking and support opportunities.
- Gender Institute aim to connect our ongoing work on gender and sexuality in research, education and outreach and to promote innovative research and programs to help redress gendered inequalities at ANU.
- ANU Respect and inclusion, ANU values diversity and inclusion and is committed to ensuring equality of opportunity for all staff. This section provides information including employment of Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, gender equity initiatives, disability support and LGBTIQ inclusion.
- Community Events Calendar recognises significant events observed around the world, both religious and non-religious, highlighting the diversity of people, perspectives and beliefs.
- A place for prayer and comfort.
- ANU College of Science I.D.E.A. (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access)