Distinguished Professor Graham Farquhar AO, FAA, FRS, NAS has undertaken and led research across a broad range of fields and scales, from integration of photosynthesis with nitrogen and water use of plants, stomatal physiology, isotopic composition of plants and global change. He is a fellow of The Australian Academy of Science and of the Royal Society and a Foreign Associate of the National Academy of Sciences. He has over 300 research publications and is a leading Australian Citation Laureate. Graham was awarded the Prime Minister’s Prize for Science in 2015.
- Donohue RJ, Roderick ML, McVicar TR, Farquhar GD (2013) Impact of CO2 fertilization on maximum foliage cover across the globe’s warm, arid environments. (2013GL056017R) Geophysical Research Letters 40, 3031-3035.
- Farquhar GD, Cernusak LA (2012) Ternary effects on the gas exchange of isotopologues of carbon dioxide. Plant Cell and Environment 35, 1221-31 DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-3040.2012.02484.x
- Roderick ML, Rotstayn LD, Farquhar GD and Hobbins MT. (2007) On the attribution of changing pan evaporation. Geophysical Research Letters VOL. 34, L17403, doi:10.1029/2007GL031166
- Farquhar GD, Cernusak LA, Barnes B (2007) Heavy water fractionation during transpiration. Plant Physiology 143, 11–18.
- Tcherkez G, Farquhar GD and Andrews TJ (2006). Despite slow catalysis and confused substrate specificity, all ribulose bisphosphate carboxylases may be nearly perfectly optimized. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 103 (19) 7246-7251
- see also Commentaries in PNAS and Nature:
- Gutteridge S and Pierce J (2006) A unified theory for the basis of the limitations of the primary reaction of photosynthetic CO2 fixation: Was Dr. Pangloss right? Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 103 (19) 7203-7204 Griffiths, H (2006) Designs on Rubisco. Nature 441 940-941
- Masle J, Gilmore S R and Farquhar GD (2005) The ERECTA gene regulates plant transpiration efficiency in Arabidopsis. Nature 436, 866-870 doi: 10.1038/nature03835
- Farquhar GD and Cernusak LA (2005) On the isotopic composition of leaf water in the non-steady state. Functional Plant Biology 32 (4) 293-303
- June T, Evans JR and Farquhar GD (2004) A simple new equation for the reversible temperature dependence of photosynthetic electron transport: a study on soybean leaf. Functional Plant Biology 31 (3), 275-83.
- Farquhar GD and Gan KS (2003) On the progressive enrichment of the oxygen isotopic composition of water along a leaf. Plant, Cell & Environment 26 (9): 1579-1597.
- Roderick ML and Farquhar GD (2002) The cause of decreased pan evaporation over the last 50 years. Science 298: 1410-1411.
- Rebetzke GJ, Condon AG, Richards RA and. Farquhar, GD (2002) Selection for reduced carbon isotope discrimination increases aerial biomass and grain yield of rainfed bread wheat. Crop Science 42:739-745.
- Barbour, MM, Fischer, RA, Sayre, KD and Farquhar, GD. (2000) Oxygen isotope ratio of leaf and grain material correlates with stomatal conductance and grain yield in irrigated wheat. Aust. J. Plant Physiol 27: 625-637
- Barbour, MM and Farquhar, GD. (2000) Relative humidity- and ABA-induced variation in carbon and oxygen isotope ratios of cotton leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 473-485.
- Farquhar, GD, Henry, BK and Styles, JM (1997) A rapid on-line technique for determination of oxygen isotope composition of nitrogen-containing organic matter and water. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 11(14): 1554-1560.
- de Pury, DGG and Farquhar, GD (1997) Simple scaling of photosynthesis from leaves to canopies without the errors of big-leaf models. Plant, Cell & Env. 20(5): 537-557.
- Farquhar, GD, Lloyd, J, Taylor, JA, Flanagan, LB, Syvertsen, JP, Hubick, KT, Wong, SC and Ehleringer, JR (1993) Vegetation effects on the isotopic composition of oxygen in atmospheric CO2. Nature 363: 439-443.
- Farquhar, GD, Ehleringer, JR and Hubick, KT (1989) Carbon isotope discrimination and photosynthesis. Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol. Mol. Biol. 40: 503-537
- Evans, JR, Sharkey, TD, Berry, JA and Farquhar, GD (1986) Carbon isotope discrimination measured concurrently with gas exchange to investigate CO2 diffusion in leaves of higher plants. Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 13: 281-292.
- Farquhar, GD and Richards, RA (1984) Isotopic composition of plant carbon correlates with water-use efficiency of wheat genotypes. Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 11: 539-552
- Farquhar, GD and Sharkey, TD (1982) Stomatal conductance and photosynthesis. Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol. 33: 317- 345.
- Farquhar, GD, O'Leary, MH and Berry, JA (1982) On the relationship between carbon isotope discrimination and the intercellular carbon dioxide concentration in leaves. Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 9: 121-137.
- von Caemmerer, S and Farquhar, GD (1981) Some relationships between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas exchange of leaves. Planta 153: 376-387.
- Farquhar, GD, von Caemmerer, S and Berry, JA (1980) A biochemical model of photosynthetic CO2 assimilation in leaves of C3 species. Planta 149: 78-90.
- Wong, SC, Cowan, IR and Farquhar, GD (1979) Stomatal conductance correlates with photosynthetic capacity. Nature 282: 424-426.
- Cowan IR and Farquhar GD (1977) Stomatal function in relation to leaf metabolism and environment. DH Jennings (ed). Soc. Exp. Biol. Symp. 31: 471-505.