Carolyn Behm received a BSc (Hons) in Cell Biology and Zoology and a PhD from The Australian National University, in which she studied biochemistry of tapeworms. After several years' teaching and research at the University of Malaya, she returned to the Department of Zoology at The Australian National University to investigate biochemistry of helminth parasites. In 1987 Dr Behm commenced a lectureship in the Department of Biochemistry, where she taught cell biology and biochemistry while continuing research in helminth biochemistry and host pathophysiology. She held an ARC Senior Research Fellowship from 1992-1997. In recent years Dr Behm's research has focussed on aspects of nematode molecular biology, using the powerful model organism, Caenorhabditis elegans.
- George, D.T. et al. (2014). "Shigella flexneri Infection in Caenorhabditis elegans: cytopathological examination and identification of host responses." PLos ONE 9(9), e106085.
- George, D.T. et al. (2014). "The periplasmic enzyme, AnsB, of Shigella flexneri modulates bacterial adherence to host epithelial cells." PLos ONE 9(4), e94954.
- Duan, G., Saint, R., Helliwell, C., Behm, C., Wang, M.-B., Waterhouse, P. and Gordon, K.J. (2013). "C. elegans RNA-dependent RNA polymerases rrf-1 and ego-1 silence Drosophila transgenes by differing mechanisms." Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences 70, 1469-81. doi: 10.1007/s00018-012-1218-8.
- Knight, A. J., Johnson, N. M. and Behm, C. A. (2012). VHA-19 is essential in Caenorhabditis elegans oocytes for embryogenesis and is involved in trafficking in oocytes. PLoS ONE, 7, e40317. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0040317
- Zawadzki, J. L., Kotze, A. C., Fritz, J.-A., Johnson, N. M., Hemsworth, J. E., Hines, B. M. and Behm, C. A. (2012). Silencing of essential genes by RNA interference in Haemonchus contortus. Parasitology 139, 613-29.
- Knight, A. K. and Behm, C. A. (2012). The role of the vacuolar ATPase in nematodes. Experimental Parasitology 132, 47-55. doi: 10.1016/j.exppara.2011.09.004
- Hayward, D.C., et al. (2011) Differential gene expression at coral settlement and metamorphosis - a subtractive hybridization study. PLoS ONE 6, e26411.
- Hetherington, S., C. Gally, J.-A. Fritz, J. Polanowska, J. Reboul, Y. Schwab, H. Zahreddine, C. Behm and M. Labouesse (2011). PAT-12, a potential anti-nematode target, is a novel spectraplakin partner essential for C. elegans hemidesmosome integrity and embryonic morphogenesis. Developmental Biology350(2): 267-278.
- Ponton, F., Lalubin, F., Fromont, C., Wilson, K., Behm, C., Simpson, S.J. (2011) Hosts use altered macronutrient intake to circumvent parasite-induced reduction in fecundity. International Journal for Parasitology 41(1), 43-50.
- Hassan, S., Behm, C.A., Mathesius, U. (2010) Effectors of plant parasitic nematodes that re-program root cell development. Functional Plant Biology 37, 933-942.
- Duan, G., R. Saint, C. A. Helliwell, C. A. Behm, P. M. Waterhouse and K. H. J. Gordon (2010) Expression of Caenorhabditis elegans RNA-directed RNA polymerase in transgenic Drosophila melanogaster does not affect morphological development. Transgenic Research 19 (6), 1121-1128.
- Fritz, J.-A. and C. A. Behm (2009). "CUTI-1: a novel tetraspan protein involved in C. elegans CUTicle formation and epithelial Integrity." PLoS ONE 4(4), e5117.
- Johnson, N.M., Fritz, J.-A. and Behm, C.A. (2008) RNA interference in Caenorhabditis elegans. In: RNA Interference: Methods for Plants and Animals (Doran, T. and Helliwell, C., Eds) CAB International Wallingford, UK.
- Grant, W.N. and Behm, C.A. (2007) Target identification and validation for anthelmintic discovery. Expert Opinion on Drug Discovery 2 (S1), S91-S98.
- Johnson, N.M., Behm, C.A. and Trowell, S.C. (2005) Heritable and inducible gene knockdown in C. elegans using Wormgate and the ORFeome. Gene 359, 26-34.
- Behm, C.A., Bendig, M.M., McCarter, J.P. and Sluder, A.E. (2005) RNA interference-based discovery and validation of new drug targets in filarial nematodes. Trends in Parasitology 21 (3), 97-100.
- Pellerone, F.I., Archer, S.K., Behm, C.A., Grant, W.N., Lacey, M.J. and Somerville, A.C. (2003) Trehalose metabolism genes in Caenorhabditis elegans and filarial nematodes. International Journal for Parasitology 33, 1195-1206.
- Behm, C.A. (2002) Metabolism. In: The Biology of Nematodes (Lee, D.L., Ed) Taylor & Francis: London pp. 261-290.
- Behm, C.A. (1997) The role of trehalose in the physiology of nematodes. International Journal for Parasitology 27, 215-229.
Carol supervises PhB ASC, undergraduate and Honours research projects.