Adrienne Hardham obtained a BSc in 1973 from Monash University, a BSc (Hons) in 1974 from ANU and a PhD in plant cell biology from ANU in 1978, receiving the Crawford Medal for her PhD thesis. After postdoctoral fellowships at Stanford University in California and Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada, she returned to Australia to take up a Queen Elizabeth II fellowship at the University of Melbourne in 1980. In 1982, she returned to ANU where she has held appointments of Research Fellow, Senior Research Fellow, Fellow and Professor and served as Head of the Plant Cell Biology Group. She was elected to the Australian Academy of Science in 1997. She currently serves on the Editorial Boards of Protoplasma, Peer J and Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology.
- Zhang, W., Blackman, L.B. and Hardham, A.R. (2013) Transient fusion and selective secretion of vesicle proteins Phytophthora nicotianae zoospores. PeerJ. 1, e221
- Hardham, A.R. (2013) Microtubules and biotic stress. Plant Journal. 75: 278-289.
- Ve, T., Williams, S., Catanzariti, A.-M., Rafiqi, M., Rahman, M., Ellis, J.E., Hardham, A.R., Jones, D.A., Anderson, P.A., Dodds, P.N. and Kobe, B. (2013) Structures of the flax-rust effector AvrM reveal insights into the molecular basis of host-cell entry and effector-triggered immunity. PNAS 110,17594-17599.
- Hee, W.Y., Torreña, P.S., Blackman, L.M. and Hardham, A.R. (2013) Phytophthora cinnamomi in Australia. In:Phytophthora A Global Perspective. Ed: K. Lamour. Pp. 124-134.
- Ludowici, V., Zhang, W., Blackman, L.M. and Hardham, A.R. (2013) Phytophthora nicotianae. In: PhytophthoraA Global Perspective. Ed: K. Lamour. Pp. 113-123.
- Gan, P. H. P., Dodds, P.N. and Hardham, A.R. (2012) Plant infection by biotrophic fungal and oomycete pathogens. In: Signalling and Communication in Plant Symbiosis. Eds: S. Perotto and F. Baluska. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. Pp. 183-212.
- Hardham, A.R. (2012) Confocal microscopy in plant-pathogen interactions. In: Plant Fungal pathogens: Methods and Protocols. Eds: M.D. Bolton and B.P.H.J. Thomma. Humana Press, New York. 295-309.
- Takemoto, D., Rafiqi, M., Hurley, U., Lawrence, G.J., Bernoux, M., Hardham, A.R., Ellis, J.G., Dodds, P.N. and Jones, D.A. (2012) N-terminal motifs in some plant disease resistance proteins function in membrane attachment and contribute to disease resistance. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interacteractions 25, 379-392.
- Rafiqi, M., Ellis, J.G., Ludowici, V.A., Hardham, A.R. and Dodds, P.M. (2012) Challenges and progress towards understanding the role of effectors in plant–fungal interactions. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 15, 1-6.
- Zhang, M., Meng, Y., Wang, Q., Liu, D., Quan, J., Hardham, A.R. and Shan, W. (2012) PnPMA1, an atypical plasma membrane H+-ATPase, is required for zoospore development in Phytophthora parasitica. Fungal Biology 116: 1013-1023.
- Blackman, L.M., Arikawa, M., Yamada, S., Suzaki, T. and Hardham, A.R. (2011) Identification of a mastigoneme protein from Phytophthora nicotianae. Protist 162, 100-114.
- Koeck, M., Hardham, A.R. and Dodds, P.N. (2011) The role of effectors of biotrophic and hemibiotrophic fungi in infection. Cellular Microbiology 13, 1849-1857.
- Rafiqi, M., Gan, P.H.P., Ravensdale, M., Lawrence, G.J., Ellis, J.G., Jones, D.A., Hardham, A.R. and Dodds, P.N. (2010) Internalization of flax rust avirulence proteins into plant cells occurs in the absence of the pathogen. Plant Cell 22, 2017-2032.
- Narayan, R.D., Blackman, L.M., Shan, W. and Hardham, A.R. (2010) Phytophthora nicotianae transformants lacking dynein light chain 1 produce non-flagellate zoospores. Fungal Genetics and Biology 47, 663-671.
- Gan, P.H.P., Rafiqi, M., Ellis, J.G., Jones, D.A., Hardham, A.R. and Dodds, P.N. (2010) Lipid binding activities of flax rust AvrM and AvrL567 effectors. Plant Signalling and Behaviour 5, 1-4.
- Gan, P.H.P., Rafiqi, M., Hardham, A.R. and Dodds, P.N. (2010) Effectors of biotrophic fungal plant pathogens.Functional Plant Biology 37, 913-918.
- Hardham, A.R. and Cahill, D.M. (2010) Oomycete effectors. Functional Plant Biology 37, 919-925.
- Hardham, A.R., Takemoto, D. and White, R.G. (2008) Rapid and dynamic subcellular reorganization following mechanical stimulation of Arabidopsis epidermal cells mimics responses to fungal and oomycete attack. BMC Plant Biology 8, 63-77.
- Blackman L.M. and Hardham, A.R. (2008) Regulation of catalase activity and gene expression during Phytophthora nicotianae development and infection of tobacco. Molecular Plant Pathology 9, 495-510.
- Hardham, A.R. (2007) Cell biology of plant-oomycete interactions. Cellular Microbiology 9, 31-39.
- Hardham, A.R., Takemoto, D. and Jones, D.A. (2007) Cytoskeleton and cell wall function in penetration resistance. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 10, 342-348.
- Hardham, A.R. (2005) Pathogen Profile: Phytophthora cinnamomi. Molecular Plant Pathology 6, 589-604.