Naresh Verma completed his PhD at the Department of Microbiology, University of Sydney in 1988. He has since pursued his research interests in microbial pathogenesis and vaccine development in post-doctoral fellowship appointments at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden and Howard Hughes Medical Institute at Stanford University, U.S.A. He returned to Australia to take up a lectureship at ANU in 1993. He was awarded the Fellowship of the Australian Society for Microbiology (FASM) in 2005.
Bacterial and bacteriophage genetics, and vaccine development.
- N. Verma: NHMRC Research Project Grant (2006-2008): Molecular basis of O-antigen modification and genomics of serotype-converting bacteriophages of Shigella flexneri
- N. Verma: ANU College of Medicine, Biology and Environment Grant (2010): Structural and functional analysis of glucosyltransferases (Gtr) involved in O-antigen modification of Shigella flexneri.
- N. Verma: NHMRC Research Project Grant (2011-2014): Structural and functional analysis of glucosyltransferases involved in O-antigen modification of Shigella flexneri.
- Rusden, A.D., Stephenson, D.P. and Verma, N.K. (2013) Topological Investigation of Glucosyltransferase V in Shigella flexneri using the Substituted Cysteine Accessibility Method. Biochemistry 16;52(15):2655-2661.
- Thanweer F and Verma, N.K. (2012) Identification of critical residues of the serotype modifying O-acetyltransferase of Shigella flexneri. BMC Biochem.15: 13(1):13-21.
- Linterman, M., Beaton, L., Yu, D., Ramiscal, R., Srivastava, M., Hogan, J., Verma, N.K., Smyth M., Rigby, R. and Vinuesa, C.G. (2010) IL-21 acts directly on B cells to regulate Bcl-6 expression and germinal center responses. Journal of Experimental Medicine 207: 353 - 363.
- Stagg, R., Tang, Swee-Seong, Carlin, N.,Talukder, K., Cam, P. and Verma, N. K. (2009) A novel glucosyltransferase involved in O-antigen modification of Shigella flexneri serotype 1c. Journal of Bacteriology 191: 6612 - 6617.
- Korres, H. and Verma, N. K. (2006) Identification of essential loops and residues of Glucosyltransferase V (GtrV) of Shigella flexneri. Molecular Membrane Biology 23: 407-419.
- Lehane, A.M., Korres, H. and Verma N.K. (2005) Bacteriophage-encoded glucosyltransferase GtrII of Shigella flexneri : membrane topology and identification of critical residues. Biochemical J., 389: 137-143.
- Korres, H. and Verma, N. K. (2004) Topological analysis of glucosyltransferase GtrV of Shigella flexneri by a dual reporter system and identification of a unique reentrant loop. Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 22469-22476.
- Jennison, A.V. and Verma, N.K. (2004) Shigella flexneri infection: pathogenesis and vaccine development. FEMS Microbiology Reviews 28: 43-58.
- Allison, G.E., Angeles, D., Tran-Dinh, N. and Verma, N.K. (2002) The complete genome sequence of SfV, a serotype-converting temperate bacteriophage of Shigella flexneri. Journal of Bacteriology 184: 1974-1987.
- Allison, G.E. and Verma, N.K. (2000) Serotype-converting bacteriophages and O-antigen modification in Shigella flexneri. Trends in Microbiology 8: 17-23.