For internal staff only.
Accessing RSB IT services outside RSB or off campus
Remote access to the ANU and RSB network via VPN
- If you're not at RSB with a computer plugged in to a blue ethernet cable (e.g., you're at home or on ANU Secure wifi), use VPN to connect to RSB files and RSB printers.
- Connect to the RSB or ANU using remote access services (Global Protect (GP) or Cisco AnyConnect VPN)
- Once connected via vpn, browse to your files - if you don't know how, look in point 9 of this guide - it's accessible to VPN/RSB network connected users only.
Access your RSB desktop and network files through RSB box
- Use RSB 'dropbox' https://rsbbox.anu.edu.au to remotely access and edit your RSB desktop and fileshares via a web browser.
- No VPN needed, use your u-number and ANU credentials to log in. RSBbox is handy for accessing Word etc. files, but can be slow for large data.
Right-click on a file to edit it, download it or share it.
- To access RSB files on a phone or tablet: install the HttpCommander app, then add a new connection: Name: RSB, Connection URL: https://rsbbox.anu.edu.au then your u-number and password.
- Tom's video guide to RSB box
ANU Collaboration Toolset and WebMail
- MS Office 365 collaboration toolset gives access to the MS suite: Outlook, OneDrive, Teams, Chat & video conferencing (via Teams), Forms, SharePoint, Word, Excel, and installs of Office to personal devices. Access it all here.
- Does your group need a collaboration tool? Microsoft Teams is similar to Slack, and combines chat, skype-like video meetings and calls, and document management (through SharePoint), and is integrated with the ANU Microsoft ecosystem. Each site has 25TB of storage. Access it here. Instructions here to started with MS Teams
- Access the MS Toolset through Office 365 mail weblink or Outlook web mail https://anumail.anu.edu.au, then click the 'App Laucher' icon (a square of 9 dots in the top left), and select Teams, then Join or Create Team.
- Microsoft Teams is available online, or through downloadable desktop app and phone app.
- Tom's video guide to co-authoring online documents in SharePoint
Access to software
- Some software will only run if you are connected to the ANU VPN.
- You may remotely access an extensive range of software on ANU Virtual Information Commons.
- PC users may search their menu for 'Software Centre' and install from the ANU App store selection.
- Here is a list of ANU software available for personal devices, including Adobe Creative Cloud suite.
- More about ANU Software and Systems and Software agreements.
- Endnote: references can be synchronised to your home machine before leaving campus. (Tom's video Guide)
- ANU Zoom Guide and Client. See also:Tom's video guide to using Zoom
- Electronic document signing service. DocuSign guide and login URL.
Off campus access to internal services
- Virtual.anu.edu.au (Reverse Proxy) will allow you to connect to many internal sites
- The library URL is default, but you can replace it with URLs, such as https://intranet.biology.anu.edu.au)
- Tom's video guide to virtual ANU (library access).
Remote Desktop (RDP)
You can 'Remote' into your work desktop (which must be powered on) if you need to access software or compute power not on your home machine.
To request access, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your u-number and PC hostname (on the barcode sticker - e.g. RSB0001234).
Important! You will need to allow remote access, and also turn off sleep settings on the work PC you're remotely accessing, before the remote session (and turn back again after).
- RSB Intranet, including RSB Intranet Documents and RSB Intranet Services (ANU access only)
- Access to the intranet from off-campus is best done by ANU reverse proxy (paste in the intranet URL, https://intranet.biology.anu.edu.au).
- The RSB IT Guide for new staff and students gives an orientation and overview of IT services and support.
Biology website login
- biology.anu.edu.au/user (for Profile, Group page and Project editing - all editing accounts created by request to email@example.com)
Remote Working at ANU
Need support? Make a request in the ANU Service Desk,
or email firstname.lastname@example.org to log a request with RSB IT in the ANU Service Desk.
To give feedback on this page, email email@example.com