The research focus of the Maier lab is the identification of proteins involved in malaria pathogenesis and the elucidation of their function through biochemical, molecular and cell biological techniques.
Open to students
Cellular adaptations that allow the transmission and survival of Plasmodium falciparum when taken up by the mosquito (Undergraduate, Summer scholar course, Honours, Graduate, Higher degree by research)
Erythrocyte membrane modifications during malaria infection (Undergraduate, Summer scholar course, Honours, Graduate, Higher degree by research)
Function of molecular chaperones in the export and display of parasite proteins (Undergraduate, Summer scholar course, Honours, Graduate, Higher degree by research)
Molecular tools to reveal protein function and identify drug targets (Undergraduate, Summer scholar course, Honours, Graduate, Higher degree by research)
Plasmodium falciparum lipid metabolism as a target for malaria intervention strategies (Higher degree by research)
- Phuong N. Tran, Simon H. Brown, Melanie Rug, Melanie Ridgway, Todd W. Mitchell, Alexander G. Maier: Changes in lipid composition during sexual development of the malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum, Malaria Journal, 2016 15:73, DOI: 10.1186/s12936-016-1130-z
- Phuong N. Tran, Simon H. Brown, Todd W. Mitchell, Kai Matuschweski, Paul J. McMillian, Kiaran Kirk, Matthew W. Dixon, Alexander G. Maier: A female-gametocyte-specific ABC transporter plays a role in lipid metabolism in the malaria parasite, Nature Communications, 2014, doi:10.1038/ncomms5773
- Alexander G. Maier: The Malariologist’s Molecular Toolbox, In: Jane Carlton, Susan Perkins, Kirk Deitsch eds. Malaria Parasites - Comparative Genomics, Evolution and Molecular Biology (2012). Hethersett, Norwich, UK: Horizon Scientific Press
- Tarun Kumar Bhatt, Sameena Khan, Ved Prakash Dwivedi, Mudassir Meraj Banday, Arvind Sharma, Anmol Chandele, Noelia Camacho, Ribas de Pouplana Lluis, Yang Wu, Alister G. Craig, Antti Tapani Mikkonen, Alexander G. Maier, Manickam Yogavel, Amit Sharma: Malaria parasite tyrosyl-tRNA synthetase secretion triggers pro-inflammatory responses, Nature Communications, 2011 2, 530
- Kelley M. VanBuskirk, Matthew T. O’Neill, Patricia de la Vega, Alexander G. Maier, Urzsula Krzych, Jack Williams, Megan G. Dowler, John B. Sacci Jr, Niwat Kangwanrangsan, Takafumi Tsuboi, Norman M. Kneteman, Donald G. Heppner, Jr, Brant A. Murdock, Sebastian A. Mikolajczak, Ahmed S.I. Aly, Alan F. Cowman*, Stefan H.I. Kappe*: Pre-erythrocytic live-attenuated Plasmodium falciparum vaccine candidates by design, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2009 Aug 4; 106 (31): 13004-13009
- Alexander G. Maier, Brian M. Cooke, Alan F. Cowman and Leann Tilley: Malaria parasite proteins that remodel the host erythrocyte, Nature Reviews Microbiology, 2009 May 7 (5): 341-354
- Alexander G. Maier, Melanie Rug, Monica Brown, Matthew T. O’Neill, Srabasti Chakravorty, Tadge Szestak, Joanne Chesson, Yang Wu, Katie Hughes, Ross Coppel, Chris Newbold, James Beeson, Alister Craig, Brendan S. Crabb and Alan F. Cowman: Exported Proteins Required for Virulence and Rigidity of Plasmodium falciparum-Infected Human Erythrocytes, Cell, 2008 Jul 11, 134:48-61
- Marthe C. D’Ombrain, Till S. Voss, Alexander G. Maier, J. Andrew Pearce, Diana S. Hansen, Alan F. Cowman and Louis Schofield: Plasmodium falciparum Erythrocyte Membrane Protein-1 suppresses early IFN-gamma Production by gamma/delta-T, NK and alpha/beta-T cells via CD36 independent pathway, Cell Host & Microbe, 2007 Aug 16, 2(2):130-138
- Alexander G. Maier*, Melanie Rug*, Matthew T. O’Neill, James Beeson, Matthias Marti, John Reeder and Alan F. Cowman: Skeleton Binding Protein 1 functions at the parasitophorous vacuolar membrane to traffic PfEMP1 to the Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocyte surface, Blood 2007 Feb, 109(3): 1289-1297
- Janine Stubbs, Ken Simpson, Tony Triglia, David Plouffe, Christopher J. Tonkin, Manoj T. Duraisingh, Alexander G. Maier, Elizabeth Winzeler and Alan F. Cowman: Molecular mechanism for switching of P. falciparum invasion pathways into human erythrocytes, Science 2005 309 (5739) 1384-7.
- Manoj T. Duraisingh, Alexander G. Maier, Tony Triglia and Alan F. Cowman: The erythrocyte binding antigen-175 functions in invasion of human erythrocytes by Plasmodium falciparum utilizing sialic acid-dependent and -independent pathways, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 100 (8) (2003) 4796-4801
- Alexander G. Maier, Manoj T. Duraisingh, John C. Reeder, Sheral S. Patel, James W. Kazura, Peter A. Zimmerman and Alan F. Cowman: Plasmodium falciparum erythrocyte invasion via glycophorin C and selection for Gerbich-negativity in human populations, Nature Medicine 9 (1) (2003) 87-92.