Fungal diseases are the cause of millions of tonnes in yield losses each on farms around the world. This is serious issue not only in terms of financial losses, but also when considering food security and stability. Using today's wheat prices, the losses from fungi in Australia exceed $1 billion dollars, and that is using effective control measures; without these losses would exceed $5 billion dollars.Thus there are many good reasons to better understand how these pathogens cause disease! Our laboratory focuses on two significant pathogens of wheat, Stagonospora nodorum and Zymoseptoria tritici. Read more about it on my research page.
Open to students
Bioinformatics Summer Scholarship projects (Summer scholar course)
Characterising the Zymospetoria tritici - wheat interaction (Undergraduate, Summer scholar course, Honours, Graduate, Higher degree by research)
Novel metabolite discovery and characterisation (Undergraduate, Summer scholar course, Honours, Graduate, Higher degree by research)
PhD projects are now available to study a wide range of topics in biosecurity and pathogenesis (Graduate, Higher degree by research)
Studying pathogen proteins that cause disease (Undergraduate, Summer scholar course, Honours, Graduate, Higher degree by research)
- Muria-Gonzalez, M.J., Chooi, Y-H., Breen, S., Solomon, P.S. (2014) The past, present and future of secondary metabolite research in the dothideomycetes. Molecular Plant Pathology (in press June 2014)
- Winterberg, B., Du Fall., L.A. Song, X., Pascovici, D., Care, N., Molloy, M., Ohms, S., Solomon, P.S. (2014) The necrotrophic effector protein SnTox3 re-programs metabolism and elicits a strong defence response in susceptible wheat leaves. BMC Plant Biology, 14, 215.
- Chooi, Y-H., Muria-Gonzalez, M.J., Solomon, P.S. (2014) A genome wide survey of the secondary metabolite biosynthesis genes in the wheat pathogen Parastagonospora nodorum. Mycology 5, 192-206.
- Mead, Oliver; Thynne, Eli; Winterberg, Britta; et al. Characterising the Role of GABA and Its Metabolism in the Wheat Pathogen Stagonospora nodorum Plos One 8 Issue: 11 Published: NOV 12 2013
- Pascovici, Dana; Gardiner, Donald M.; Song, Xiaomin; et al. Coverage and Consistency: Bioinformatics Aspects of the Analysis of Multirun iTRAQ Experiments with Wheat Leaves Journal of Proteome Research 12 Issue: 11 Pages: 4870-4881 Published: NOV
- Du Fall, Lauren A.; Solomon, Peter S. The necrotrophic effector SnToxA induces the synthesis of a novel phytoalexin in wheat New Phytologist 200 Issue: 1 Pages: 185-200 Published: OCT 2013
- Gummer, Joel P. A.; Trengove, Robert D.; Oliver, Richard P.; et al. A comparative analysis of the heterotrimeric G-protein G alpha, G beta and G gamma subunits in the wheat pathogen Stagonospora nodorum Bmc Microbiology 12 Published: JUL 3 2012
- Vincent, Delphine; Du Fall, Lauren A.; Livk, Andreja; et al. A functional genomics approach to dissect the mode of action of the Stagonospora nodorum effector protein SnToxA in wheat Molecular Plant Pathology 13 Issue: 5 Pages: 467-482 Published: JUN 2012
- Gardiner, Donald M.; McDonald, Megan C.; Covarelli, Lorenzo; et al. Comparative Pathogenomics Reveals Horizontally Acquired Novel Virulence Genes in Fungi Infecting Cereal Hosts Plos Pathogens 8 Issue: 9 Published: SEP 2012
- Gummer, Joel P A; Krill, Christian; Du Fall, Lauren; et al. Metabolomics protocols for filamentous fungi. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.) 835 Pages: 237-54 Published: 2012
- Vincent, Delphine; Tan, Kar-Chun; Cassidy, Liam; et al. Proteomic techniques for plant-fungal interactions. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.) 835 Pages: 75-96 Published: 2012
- Oliver, Richard P; Friesen, Timothy L; Faris, Justin D; et al. Stagonospora nodorum: From Pathology to Genomics and Host Resistance. Annual review of phytopathology 50 Pages: 23-43 Published: 2012-Sep-8
- Liu, Zhaohui; Zhang, Zengcui; Faris, Justin D.; et al. The Cysteine Rich Necrotrophic Effector SnTox1 Produced by Stagonospora nodorum Triggers Susceptibility of Wheat Lines Harboring Snn1 Plos Pathogens 8 Issue: 1 Published: JAN 2012.
A full list of Assoc. Prof. Peter Solomon's publications can be found at ResearcherID C-9301-2009.