Barry Pogson completed his PhD at Macquarie University. He moved to the USA in 1994 working as a postdoc with Dean DellaPenna before taking an Assistant Professorship at Arizona State University in 1997. He moved to ANU late 1999.
Pogson is Deputy Director of the ARC Centre of Excellence in Plant Energy Biology (www.plantenergy.edu.au) and lead CI on an International Wheat Yield Partnership grant to Improve Wheat Yeild by Optimising Energy Use Efficiency (iwyp.org). Notable acheivements and roles in the science community include:
- ISI Highly Cited Scientist
- ASPB Top Cited Author Award for The Plant Cell
- ANU Vice Chancellors Supervisor Award
- 15 articles in the top 1% in their field for citations (ISI highly cited articles)
- Senior Editor, The Plant Cell
- Co-editor, Science Advances
- Chair, Global Plant Counci
- Fenner Medal from Australian Academy of Scientists
- Goldacre Award from Australian Society of Plant Scientist
More significantly his group have received 4 national awards for research excellence, two awards for teaching and supervision excellence and six students have received University medals and/or awards for their honours thesis in the past ten years
- Lab awards
- ARC Centre of Excellence in Plant Energy Biology
At ANU the Centre lab leaders are Pogson, Owen Atkin and Justin Borevtiz. The Centre offers Honours scholarships and top-up scholarships for PhD students, in addition to well funded research, conference travel and graduate training programs.
Signaling between the chloroplast and nucleus
The overarching theme of our research is to determine the controls and regulators of communication between the chloroplast and nucleus. This includes discovery of genes and metabolites involved in epigenetics, RNA metabolism, chloroplast-nuclear signaling, carotenoid biosynthesis, photosynthesis and drought.
The research program is an integral component of the ARC Centre of Excellence in Plant Energy Biology. The Centre offers Honours scholarships ($6K) and top-up scholarships for PhD students ($7K), in addition to well funded research, conference travel and graduate training programs.
1. Signaling during chloroplast development
- First demonstration of a role for the cytoskeleton and a novel cytoskeleton-associated protein in chloroplast biogenesis (Albrecht et al 2010, Plant Cell). Elucidation of a mechanism for photosystem assembly that requires lipid vesicles and a protein disulphide isomerase that folds light harvesting and other photosystem proteins (Tanz et al. 2011, Plant Journal).
2. Identification of the first signal to move from the chloroplast to the nucleus
- We are studying the mechanisms by which plants perceive and respond to drought and excess light. Recently, we uncovered a molecule that moves between the chloroplast and nucleus to regulate gene expression. The key publication is Estavillo et al 2011, Plant Cell, which builds upon Marin et al 2011 Plos One, Wilson et al. 2009 Plant J. and Rossel et al 2006.
3. Intersection of drought and high light signaling
- Demonstration of a role for the ER and an ER processing protein in chloroplast-nuclear communication, specifically in response to drought (Che et al. 2010, Science Signaling)
- Commercial outputs. The knowledge of the SAL-PAP retrograde pathway has been published (Rossel et al. 2006, PCE Wilson et al. 2009, Plant Journal), patented and is being applied to the development of drought tolerant wheat in collaboration with CSIRO and GRDC and in Canola with Pacific Seeds via an ARC Linkage grant.
Also see Gonzalo Estavillo's web page.
4. Epigenetic regulation of carotenoid biosynthesis
- Carotenoids, such as beta-carotene, are essential for photosynthesis, dietary vitamin A and as antioxidants offer protection against certain cancers and age-related blindness. We made the first identification of an epigenetic regulator of carotenoid biosynthesis. Communication between the chloroplast and nucleus occurs in both directions and a seminal finding was the identification of a histone methylation transferase that regulates specific enzymes required for carotenoid biosynthesis, flowering time and hormone synthesis in the chloroplast. Future goals are to elucidate the epigenetic controls and identify novel carotenoid-derived retrograde signals produced from carotenoids that regulate nuclear gene expression and plant development. See Cazzonelli et al. 2009 Plant Cell and Cazzonelli web page.
5. Leaf to leaf systemic signalling
- A leaf exposed to full sunlight will transmit a signal to shaded leaves enable a systemic acquired acclimation (SAA) response. The nature and regulation of SAA is under investigation.
6. Photosynthesis and photoprotection
- We are investigating the safety valves plants used to protect against oxidative damage induced during photosynthesis. This program is a combination of biochemical genetics and physiology using Arabidopsis and avocado.
7. Collaborative projects
- TraitCapture: Genomic modelling for plant phenomics under environmental stress (Secondary Investigator) [hide]
- ARC Centre of Excellence in Plant Energy Biology (Secondary Investigator) [hide]
- The Hunt for RNA Riboswitches and Genetic Sensors of Metabolic Flux in Plants (Secondary Investigator) [hide]
- Towards improving the role of canola and other Brassicas during drought (Primary Investigator)[hide]
- Pogson, Estavillo and Yadav 'The generation of wheat cultivars with improved drought tolerance' Grains Research Development Council
2011- 2016 publications, (see complete list)
Scholarly book chapters 2011- 2014
Pogson BJ and Albrecht, V (2014) An overview of chloroplast biogenesis and development. IN Plastid Biology, Eds SM Theg and F-A Wollman, Advances in Plant Biology, Springer
Carmody, M and Pogson, BJ (2013) Systemic photo-oxidative stress signaling. IN Long-Distance Systemic Signaling and Communication in Plants. Ed F. Baluska, Springer, Dordrecht
Cuttriss, AJ, Cazzonelli, CI, Wurtzel, ET and Pogson, BJ (2011) Vitamin A (carotenoids). IN Biosynthesis of vitamins in Plants, Eds F. Rébeillé and R. Douce, Advances in Botanical Research
Refereed journal articles
Chan, K. X., Mabbitt, P. D., Phua, S. Y., Mueller, J. W., Nisar, N., Gigolashvili, T., Stroeher, E., Grassl, J., Arlt, W., Estavillo, G. M., Jackson, C. J. and Pogson, B. J. (2016) Sensing and signaling of oxidative stress in chloroplasts by inactivation of the SAL1 phosphoadenosine phosphatase. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences [10.1073/pnas.1604936113]
Crisp, P. A., Ganguly, D., Eichten, S. R., Borevitz, J. O. and Pogson, B. J. (2016) Reconsidering plant memory: Intersections between stress recovery, RNA turnover, and epigenetics. Science Advances 2 [10.1126/sciadv.1501340].
Carmody, M., Crisp, P. A., D'Alessandro, S., Ganguly, D., Gordon, M., Havaux, M., Albrecht-Borth, V. and Pogson, B. J. (2016) Uncoupling high light responses from singlet oxygen retrograde signaling and spatial-temporal systemic acquired acclimation in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology [10.1104/pp.16.00404]
Chan, K. X., Phua, S. Y., Crisp, P., McQuinn, R. and Pogson, B. J. (2016) Learning the Languages of the Chloroplast: Retrograde Signaling and Beyond. Annual Review of Plant Biology 67: 25-+ [doi:10.1146/annurev-arplant-043015-111854]
Hou, X., Rivers, J., León, P., McQuinn, R.P. and Pogson, B.J. (2016) Synthesis and Function of Apocarotenoid Signals in Plants. Trends in Plant Science in press, [doi:10.1016/j.tplants.2016.06.001]
Bruggeman, Q., Mazubert, C., Prunier, F., Lugan, R., Chan, K. X., Phua, S. Y., Pogson, B. J., Krieger-Liszkay, A., Delarue, M., Benhamed, M., Bergounioux, C. and Raynaud, C. (2016) Chloroplast Activity and 3 ' phosphadenosine 5 ' phosphate Signaling Regulate Programmed Cell Death in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 170: 1745-1756 [10.1104/pp.15.01872]
Bowerman, A. F., Newberry, M., Dielen, A.-S., Whan, A., Larroque, O., Pritchard, J., Gubler, F., Howitt, C. A., Pogson, B. J., Morell, M. K. and Ral, J.-P. (2016) Suppression of glucan, water dikinase in the endosperm alters wheat grain properties, germination and coleoptile growth. Plant Biotechnology Journal 14: 398-408
Ganguly, D., Crisp, P., Harter, K., Pogson, B. J. and Albrecht-Borth, V. (2015) Genetic suppression of plant development and chloroplast biogenesis via the Snowy Cotyledon 3 and Phytochrome B pathways. Functional Plant Biology 42: 676-686 [10.1071/fp15026] Aust Society Plant Scientists (APSP) Best Student Paper in FPB Award.
McQuinn, R. P., Giovannoni, J. J. and Pogson, B. J. (2015) More than meets the eye: from carotenoid biosynthesis, to new insights into apocarotenoid signaling. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 27: 172-179 [10.1016/j.pbi.2015.06.020]
Nisar, N., Li, L., Lu, S., Khin, N. C. and Pogson, B. J. (2015) Carotenoid Metabolism in Plants. Molecular Plant 8: 68-82 [10.1016/j.molp.2014.12.007], ISI highly cited
Pogson, B. J., Ganguly, D. and Albrecht-Borth, V. (2015) Insights into chloroplast biogenesis and development. Biochimica Et Biophysica Acta-Bioenergetics 1847: 1017-1024 [10.1016/j.bbabio.2015.02.003]
Rivers, J., Warthmann, N., Pogson, B. J. and Borevitz, J. O. (2015) Genomic breeding for food, environment and livelihoods. Food Security 7: 375-382 [10.1007/s12571-015-0431-3]
Yin, C.-C., Ma, B., Collinge, D. P., Pogson, B. J., He, S.-J., Xiong, Q., Duan, K.-X., Chen, H., Yang, C., Lu, X., Wang, Y.-Q., Zhang, W.-K., Chu, C.-C., Sun, X.-H., Fang, S., Chu, J.-F., Lu, T.-G., Chen, S.-Y. and Zhang, J.-S. (2015) Ethylene Responses in Rice Roots and Coleoptiles Are Differentially Regulated by a Carotenoid Isomerase-Mediated Abscisic Acid Pathway. Plant Cell 27: 1061-1081 [10.1105/tpc.15.00080]
Zhang, J., Yuan, H., Fei, Z., Pogson, B. J., Zhang, L. and Li, L. (2015) Molecular characterization and transcriptome analysis of orange head Chinese cabbage (Brassica rapa L. ssp pekinensis). Planta 241: 1381-1394 [10.1007/s00425-015-2262-z]
Van Norman, J. M., Zhang, J., Cazzonelli, C. I., Pogson, B. J., Harrison, P. J., Bugg, T. D. H., Chan, K. X., Thompson, A. J. and Benfey, P. N. (2014) Periodic root branching in Arabidopsis requires synthesis of an uncharacterized carotenoid derivative. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 111: E1300-E1309 [10.1073/pnas.1403016111], ISI highly cited, faculty 1000 recommended (f1000).
Nisar, N., Cuttriss, A. J., Pogson, B. J. and Cazzonelli, C. I. (2014) The promoter of the Arabidopsis PIN6 auxin transporter enabled strong expression in the vasculature of roots, leaves, floral stems and reproductive organs. Plant signaling & behavior 9: e27898-e27898
Estavillo, G. M., Verhertbruggen, Y., Scheller, H. V., Pogson, B. J., Heazlewood, J. L. and Ito, J. (2014) Isolation of the plant cytosolic fraction for proteomic analysis. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.) 1072: 453-67 [10.1007/978-1-62703-631-3_31]
Cazzonelli, C. I., Nisar, N., Roberts, A. C., Murray, K. D., Borevitz, J. O. and Pogson, B. J. (2014) A chromatin modifying enzyme, SDG8, is involved in morphological, gene expression, and epigenetic responses to mechanical stimulation. Frontiers in Plant Science 5 [10.3389/fpls.2014.00533]
Brown, T. B., Cheng, R., Sirault, X. R. R., Rungrat, T., Murray, K. D., Trtilek, M., Furbank, R. T., Badger, M., Pogson, B. J. and Borevitz, J. O. (2014) TraitCapture: genomic and environment modelling of plant phenomic data. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 18: 73-79 [10.1016/j.pbi.2014.02.002]
Avendano-Vazquez, A.-O., Cordoba, E., Llamas, E., San Roman, C., Nisar, N., De la Torre, S., Ramos-Vega, M., de la Luz Gutierrez-Nava, M., Cazzonelli, C. I., Pogson, B. J. and Leon, P. (2014) An Uncharacterized Apocarotenoid-Derived Signal Generated in zeta-Carotene Desaturase Mutants Regulates Leaf Development and the Expression of Chloroplast and Nuclear Genes in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 26: 2524-2537 [10.1105/tpc.114.123349] ISI highly cited.
Albrecht-Borth, V., Kauss, D., Fan, D., Hu, Y., Collinge, D., Marri, S., Liebers, M., Apel, K., Pfannschmidt, T., Chow, W. S. and Pogson, B. J. (2013) A Novel Proteinase, SNOWY COTYLEDON4, Is Required for Photosynthetic Acclimation to Higher Light Intensities in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 163: 732-745 [10.1104/pp.113.216036], f1000_recommended
Caliandro, R., Nagel, K. A., Kastenholz, B., Bassi, R., Li, Z., Niyogi, K. K., Pogson, B. J., Schurr, U. and Matsubara, S. (2013) Effects of altered alpha- and beta-branch carotenoid biosynthesis on photoprotection and whole-plant acclimation of Arabidopsis to photo-oxidative stress. Plant Cell and Environment 36: 438-453 [10.1111/j.1365-3040.2012.02586.x]
Cazzonelli, C. I., Vanstraelen, M., Simon, S., Yin, K., Carron-Arthur, A., Nisar, N., Tarle, G., Cuttriss, A. J., Searle, I. R., Benkova, E., Mathesius, U., Masle, J., Friml, J. and Pogson, B. J. (2013) Role of the Arabidopsis PIN6 Auxin Transporter in Auxin Homeostasis and Auxin-Mediated Development. Plos One 8 [10.1371/journal.pone.0070069]
Chan, K. X., Wirtz, M., Phua, S. Y., Estavillo, G. M. and Pogson, B. J. (2013) Balancing metabolites in drought: the sulfur assimilation conundrum. Trends in Plant Science 18: 18-29 [10.1016/j.tplants.2012.07.005], ISI highly cited
Estavillo, G. M., Chan, K. X., Phua, S. Y. and Pogson, B. J. (2013) Reconsidering the nature and mode of action of metabolite retrograde signals from the chloroplast. Frontiers in Plant Science 3 [10.3389/fpls.2012.00300]
Gordon, M. J., Carmody, M., Albrecht, V. and Pogson, B. (2013) Systemic and local responses to repeated HL stress-induced retrograde signaling in Arabidopsis. Frontiers in Plant Science 3 [10.3389/fpls.2012.00303]
Jia, H., Foerster, B., Chow, W. S., Pogson, B. J. and Osmond, C. B. (2013) Decreased Photochemical Efficiency of Photosystem II following Sunlight Exposure of Shade-Grown Leaves of Avocado: Because of, or in Spite of, Two Kinetically Distinct Xanthophyll Cycles? Plant Physiology 161: 836-852 [10.1104/pp.112.209692]
Jung, H.-S., Crisp, P. A., Estavillo, G. M., Cole, B., Hong, F., Mockler, T. C., Pogson, B. J. and Chory, J. (2013) Subset of heat-shock transcription factors required for the early response of Arabidopsis to excess light. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 110: 14474-14479 [10.1073/pnas.1311632110]
- Gordon, MJ, Carmody, ME, Albrecht, V and Pogson, BJ (2012) Systemic and local responses to repeated HL stress-induced retrograde signaling in Arabidopsis. Frontiers in Plant Physiology 3:303 doi: 10.3389/fpls.2012.00303.>
- Estavillo, GM, Chan, KX, Phua, SY and Pogson, BJ (2012) Reconsidering the nature and mode of action of metabolite retrograde signals from the chloroplast. Frontiers in Plant Physiology 3:300 doi: 10.3389/fpls.2012.00300
- Matsubara, S, Förster, B, Waterman, M, Robinson, SA, Pogson, BJ, Gunning, B and Osmond, CB (2012) From ecophysiology to phenomics: some implications of photoprotection and shade-sun acclimation in situ for dynamics of thylakoids in vitro. Phil. Transactions Royal Society B doi:10.1098/rstb.2012.0072
- Zhang, B, Carrie, C, Ivanova, A, Narsai, R, Murcha, MW, Duncan, O, Wang, Y, Law, SR, Albrecht, V, Pogson, BJ, Giraud, E, van Aken, O and Whelan J (2012) LETM proteins play a role in the accumulation of mitochondrially encoded proteins in Arabidopsis thaliana and AtLETM2 displays parent of origin effects. J. Biol. Chem. jbc.M112.383836. First Published on October 5, 2012, doi:10.1074/jbc.M112.383836.
- Gruissem, W, Lee, C-H, Oliver, M and Pogson, B (2012) The Global Plant Council: Increasing the impact of plant research to meet global challenges. J. Plant Biol. 55: 343-348/li>
- Williams, M, Lean, M, Pogson, B and Martin, C (2012) Plants, food and human health: You are what you eat? Plant Cell 24 (4) tpc.112.tt0412
- Nichol, CJ, Pieruschka, R, Takayama, K, Förster, B, Kolber, Z, Rascher, U, Grace, J, Robinson, SA, Pogson, BJ, and Osmond, CB (2012) Canopy conundrums: exploring the envelope of reversible down-regulation of photosynthesis in the outer and inner canopy to scale observations from the leaf to the landscape. Functional Plant Biology 39:1-24.
- Tanz, SK, Kilian, J, Johnsson, C, Apel, K, Small, ID, Harter, K, Wanke, K, Pogson, BJ and Albrecht, V (2012) The SCO2 protein disulphide isomerase is required for thylakoid biogenesis and interacts with LCHB1 chlorophyll a/b binding proteins which affects chlorophyll biosynthesis in Arabidopsis seedlings. Plant Journal 69: 743-54. (featured article and cover)
- Estavillo, GM, Crisp, PA, Pornsiriwong, W, Wirtz, M, Collinge, D, Carrie, C, Giraud, E, Whelan, J, David, P, Javot, H, Brearley, C, Hell, R, Marin, E and Pogson, BJ (2011) Evidence for a SAL1-PAP Chloroplast Retrograde Pathway that Functions in Drought and High Light Signaling in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 23: 3992-4012
- Cuttriss, AJ, Cazzonelli, CI, Wurtzel, ET and Pogson, BJ (2011) Vitamin A (carotenoids). IN Biosynthesis of vitamins in Plants, Eds F. Rébeillé and R. Douce, Advances in Botanical Research
- Hirsch J, Misson J, Crisp PA, David P, Bayle V, Estavillo GM, Javot H, Chiarenza S, Mallory AC, Maizel A, Declerck M, Pogson BJ, Vaucheret H, Crespi M, Desnos T, Thibaud M-C, Nussaume L, Marin E (2011) A Novel fry1 Allele Reveals the Existence of a Mutant Phenotype Unrelated to 5'->3' Exoribonuclease (XRN) Activities in Arabidopsis thaliana. Roots. PLoS ONE 6(2): e16724
- Förster, B, Pogson, BJ and Osmond CB (2011) Lutein from de-epoxidation of lutein epoxide replaces zeaxanthin to sustain an enhanced capacity for non-photochemical chlorophyll fluorescence quenching in avocado shade leaves in the dark. Plant Physiol. 156: 393-403.
- Pogson, BJ, and Albrecht, V (2011) Genetic dissection of chloroplast biogenesis and development: an overview. Plant Physiol. 155:1545-1551.
- *Woo, NS, *Gordon, MJ, Graham, SR, Rossel, JB, Badger, MR and Pogson, BJ (2011) A mutation in the purine biosynthetic enzyme ATASE2 impacts high light signalling and acclimation responses in green and chlorotic sectors of Arabidopsis leaves. Functional Plant Biology 38:401-419.
- Albrecht V, Estavillo GM, Cuttriss AJ and Pogson BJ (2011) Identifying chloroplast biogenesis and signalling mutants in Arabidopsis thaliana. Methods in Molecular Biology 684:257-72.
Selected earlier publications
- Albrecht, V, Šimková, K, Carrie, C, Delannoy, E, Giraud, E Whelan, J, Small, I Apel, K, Badger, M and Pogson, BJ (2010) The cytoskeleton and the peroxisomal-targeted SNOWY COTYLEDON 3 protein are required for chloroplast development in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 22(10):3423-38.
- Che, P, Bussell, JD Zhou, W Estavillo, G, Pogson, BJ, Smith SM (2010) Signaling from the Endoplasmic Reticulum Activates Brassinosteroid Signaling and Promotes Acclimation to Stress in Arabidopsis. Science Signaling 3 (141), ra69. [DOI: 10.1126/scisignal.2001140].
- Cazzonelli CI and Pogson BJ. (2010) A balance between source and sink: regulation of carotenoid composition in plants. Trends in Plant Science 15(5): 266-274
- Cazzonelli, CI, Cuttriss, AJ, Cossetto, SB, Pye, W, Whelan, J, Finnegan, J, Turnbull, C and Pogson, BJ (2009) Epigenetic regulation of carotenoid composition in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 21: 39-53.
- Wilson, PB, Estavillo, GM, Field, KJ, Carroll, AJ, Pornsiriwong, W, Howell, KA, Lake, JA, Millar, AH, von Caemmerer, S, Pogson, BJ (2009) The nucleotidase/phosphatase, SAL1, is a negative regulator of drought tolerance in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 58: 299-317
- Delannoy, E, Le Ret, M, Faivre-Nitschke, SE, Estavillo, GM, Bergdoll, M, Taylor, NL, Pogson, BJ, Small, ID, Imbault, P, and Gualberto, JM (2009) Arabidopsis tRNA adenosine deaminase (TADA) is responsible for editing the wobble nucleotide of chloroplast tRNAArg(ACG), a modification essential for efficient chloroplast translation. Plant Cell 21: 2058-2071
- Millar, AH, Carrie, C, Pogson, BJ and Whelan J (2009) Exploring the function:location nexus - using multiple lines of evidence in defining the subcellular location of plant proteins. Plant Cell 21: 1625-1631.
- Rossel, JB Wilson, PB, Hussain, D, Woo, NS, Gordon, MJ, Mewett, OP, Howell, KA, Whelan, J, Kazan, K, Pogson, BJ (2007) Systemic and Intracellular Response to Photooxidative stress in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 19: 4091-4110. (ISI highly cited)
- Pogson, B.J., Woo, NS, Förster B and Small, ID (2008) Plastid signalling to the nucleus and beyond. Trends in Plant Science 13 (11): 602-609 (ISI highly cited)
- DellaPenna, D. and Pogson, B.J. (2006) Vitamin synthesis in plants: tocopherols and carotenoids. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 711-738 (ISI highly cited)
- Millgate, A.G., Pogson, B.J., Wilson, I.W., Zenk, M.H., Gerlach, W.L., Fist, A.J. and Larkin, P.J. (2004) A morphine-free mutant of opium poppy - changing the poppy analgesic industry. Nature 431:413-414.
- Park H., Kreunen S.S., Cuttriss, A.J., DellaPenna, D., Pogson B.J. (2002) Identification of the carotenoid isomerase provides insight into carotenoid biosynthesis, prolamellar body formation and photomorphogenesis. Plant Cell 14: 321-332. (ISI highly cited)
- Pogson B.J., Niyogi K.K., Björkman O., and DellaPenna D. (1998) Altered xanthophyll compositions adversely affect chlorophyll accumulation and nonphotochemical quenching in Arabidopsis mutants. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 95: 13324-29.
- Pogson B.J., McDonald K., Truong M., Britton G., and DellaPenna D. (1996) Arabidopsis carotenoid mutants demonstrate lutein is not essential for photosynthesis in higher plants. Plant Cell 8: 1627-1639.