Research in the Jones Group investigates the molecular basis of disease and disease resistance in tomato (leaf mould and Fusarium wilt resistance) and flax (flax rust resistance).
Open to students
Dissecting the defence responses activated by tomato receptors able to detect Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. lycopersici infection (Honours, Masters coursework & research, Higher degree by research)
Functional characterisation of the flax rust fungus AvrP and AvrL2 effector proteins (Higher degree by research)
Identification and functional characterisation of flax rust effectors (Honours, Masters coursework & research, Higher degree by research)
Identification of signal transduction and accessory protein requirements for resistance responses mediated by the tomato I gene for Fusarium wilt resistance. (Honours, Masters coursework & research)
Use of a tobacco Pathogenesis-related Protein-5 (PR-5) promoter: β glucuronidase (GUS) reporter system to study plant defence activation in response to phytohormones, abiotic stresses and biotic inducers. (Honours, Masters coursework & research, Higher degree by research)
- Catanzariti, A-M., Do, H.T.T., Bru, P, de Sain, M., Thatcher, L.F., Rep, M. and Jones, D.A. (2017) The tomato I gene for Fusarium wilt resistance encodes an atypical leucine-rich repeat receptor-like protein whose function is nevertheless dependent on SOBIR1 and SERK3/BAK1. Plant Journal 89, 1195–1209.
- Anderson, C., Khan, M.A., Catanzariti, A-M., Jack, C.A., Nemri, A., Lawrence, G.J., Upadhyaya, N.M., Hardham, A.R., Ellis, J.G., Dodds, P.N. and Jones, D.A. (2016) Genome analysis and avirulence gene cloning using a high-density RADseq linkage map of the flax rust fungus, Melampsora lini. BMC Genomics, 17, 667.
- Chakrabarti, A., Velusamy, T., Tee, C.Y. and Jones, D.A. (2016) A mutational analysis of the cytosolic domain of the tomato Cf-9 disease-resistance protein shows that membrane-proximal residues are important for Avr9-dependent necrosis. Molecular Plant Pathology, 17, 565-576.
- Gonzalez-Cendales, Y., Catanzariti, A-M., Baker, B., Mcgrath, D.J. and Jones, D.A. (2016) Identification of I-7 expands the repertoire of genes for resistance to Fusarium wilt in tomato to three resistance gene classes. Molecular Plant Pathology 17, 448-463.
- Shibata, Y., Ojika, M., Sugiyama, A., Yazaki, K., Jones, D.A., Kawakita, K. and Takemoto, D. (2016) The full-size ABCG transporters Nb-ABCG1 and Nb-ABCG2 function in pre-and post-invasion defense against Phytophthora infestans in Nicotiana benthamiana. The Plant Cell, 28, 1163-1181.
- Thynne, E., Saur, I.M.L., Simbaqueba, J., Ogilvie, H.A., Gonzalez-Cendales, Y., Mead, O., Taranto, A., Catanzariti, A-M., McDonald, M.C., Schwessinger, B., Jones, D.A., Rathjen, J.P. and Solomon, P.S. (2016) Fungal phytopathogens encode functional homologues of plant rapid alkalinization factor (RALF) peptides. Molecular Plant Pathology, doi:10.1111/mpp.12444.
- Catanzariti, A.-M., Lim, G.T.T. and Jones, D.A. (2015). The tomato I-3 gene: a novel gene for resistance to Fusarium wilt disease. New Phytologist 207, 106-118.
- Nemri, A., Saunders, D. G. O., Anderson, C., Uphadyaya, N. M., Win, J., Jones, D. A., Kamoun, S., Ellis, J. G. and Dodds, P. N. (2014) Genome and effector complement of the flax rust pathogen (Melampsora lini). Frontiers in Plant Science 5: 98.
- Ve, T., Williams, S., Catanzariti, A.-M., Rafiqi, M., Rahman, M., Ellis, J. G., Hardham, A. R., Jones, D. A., Anderson, P. A., Dodds, P. N. and Kobe, B. (2013) Structures of the flax rust effector AvrM reveal insights into the molecular basis of host-cell entry and effector-triggered immunity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 110, 17594-17599.
- Takemoto, D., Rafiqi, M., Hurley, U., Lawrence, G.J., Bernoux, M., Hardham, A.R., Ellis, J.G., Dodds, P.N. and Jones, D.A. 2012. N-terminal motifs in some plant disease resistance proteins function in membrane attachment and contribute to disease resistance. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 25:379-392.
- Rafiqi, M., Gan, P.H.P., Ravensdale, M., Lawrence, G.J., Ellis, J.G., Jones, D.A., Hardham, A.R., and Dodds, P.N. 2010. Internalization of flax rust avirulence proteins into flax and tobacco cells can occur in the absence of the pathogen. Plant Cell 22:2017-2032.
- Wulff, B.B.H., Chakrabarti, A., and Jones, D.A. 2009. Recognitional specificity and evolution in the tomato-Cladosporium fulvum pathosystem. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 22:1191-1202.
- Chakrabarti, A., Panter, S.N., Harrison, K., Jones, J.D.G., and Jones, D.A. 2009. Regions of the Cf-9B disease resistance protein able to cause spontaneous necrosis in Nicotiana benthamiana lie within the region controlling pathogen recognition in tomato. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 22:1214-1226.
- Wulff, B.B., Heese, A., Tomlinson-Buhot, L., Jones, D.A., de la Peña, M., and Jones, J.D.G. 2009. The major specificity-determining amino acids of the tomato Cf-9 disease resistance protein are at hypervariable solvent-exposed positions in the central leucine-rich repeats. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 22:1203-1213
- Lim, G.T.T., Wang, G.P., Hemming, M.N., McGrath, D.J., and Jones, D.A. 2008. High resolution genetic and physical mapping of the I-3 region of tomato chromosome 7 reveals almost continuous microsynteny with grape chromosome 12 but interspersed microsynteny with duplications on Arabidopsis chromosomes 1, 2 and 3. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 118:57-75.
- Barker, C.L., Talbot, S.J., Jones, J.D.G., and Jones D.A. 2006. A tomato mutant that shows stunting, wilting, progressive necrosis and constitutive expression of defense genes contains a recombinant Hcr9 gene encoding an autoactive protein. Plant Journal 46:369-384.
- Barker, C.L., Baillie, B.K., Hammond-Kosack, K.E., Jones, J.D.G., and Jones, D.A. 2006. Dominant-negative interference with defence signalling by truncation mutations of the tomato Cf-9 disease resistance gene. Plant Journal 46:385-399.
- Takemoto, D., and Jones, D.A. 2005. Membrane release and destabilization of Arabidopsis RIN4 following cleavage by Pseudomonas syringae AvrRpt2. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 18: 1258-1268.
- Benghezal, M., Wasteneys, G.O., and Jones, D.A. 2000. The C-terminal dilysine motif confers endoplasmic reticulum localization to type I membrane proteins in plants. Plant Cell 12:1179-1201.
- Jones, D.A., Thomas, C.M., Hammond-Kosack, K.E., Balint-Kurti, P.J., and Jones, J.D.G. 1994.Isolation of the tomato Cf-9 gene for resistance to Cladosporium fulvum by transposon tagging. Science 266:789-793