Michael Roderick graduated with a degree in surveying in 1984 and subsequently worked as a surveyor across northern Australia until 1990. He then completed a PhD in satellite remote sensing and environmental modelling at Curtin University in 1994 and joined ANU as a Research Fellow in 1996.
He holds a joint appointment as a Professor in the Research School of Earth Sciences and in the Research School of Biology. His current research revolves around water at scales from cells to the globe.
He is also a Chief Investigator in the ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate System Science.
- Roderick, M.L., Berry, S.L., Saunders, A.R. and Noble, I.R. (1999) On the relationship between the composition, morphology and function of leaves. Functional Ecology 13, 696-710.
- Roderick, M.L. and Berry, S.L. (2001) Linking wood density with tree growth and environment: a theoretical analysis based on the motion of water. New Phytologist 149, 473-485.
- Roderick, M.L., Farquhar, G. D., Berry, S.L. and Noble, I.R. (2001) On the direct effect of clouds and atmospheric particles on the productivity and structure of vegetation. Oecologia 129, 21-30
- Roderick, M.L. and Farquhar, G.D. (2002) The cause of decreased pan evaporation over the last 50 years. Science 298, 1410-1411.
- Farquhar, G.D. and Roderick, M.L. (2003) Pinatubo, diffuse light, and the carbon cycle. Science 299, 1997-1998.
- Roderick ML, Rotstayn LD, Farquhar GD, Hobbins MT (2007) On the attribution of changing pan evaporation, Geophysical Research Letters, 34, L17403, doi:10.1029/2007GL031166.
- Schymanski SJ, Roderick ML, Sivapalan M, Hutley LB, Beringer J (2008) A canopy scale test of the optimal water use hypothesis, Plant Cell and Environment, 31, 97-111.
- Donohue RJ, McVicar TR, Roderick ML (2009) Climate related trends in Australian vegetation cover as inferred from satellite observations, 1981-2006. Global Change Biology, 15, 1025-1039.
- Roderick ML, Hobbins MT, Farquhar GD (2009) Pan Evaporation Trends and the Terrestrial Water Balance II. Energy Balance and Interpretation, Geography Compass, 3, 761-780.
- McVicar TR, Roderick ML (2010) Winds of Change. Nature Geoscience, 3, 747-748, doi:10.1038/ngeo1002.
- Sun F, Roderick ML, Farquhar GD, Lim W-H, Zhang Y, Bennett N, Roxburgh SH (2010) Partitioning the variance between space and time, Geophysical Research Letters, 37, L12704, doi:10.1029/2010GL043323.