Marine experience: I have two decades of experience in marine research, monitoring, conservation, marine protected areas, environmental monitoring and environmental education. I have worked in marine ecosystems in both temperate and tropical regions of the world including: UK, Ireland, Caribbean (Jamaica, Turks and Caicos, Trinidad and Tobago) and Indo-pacific region (East Africa, Great Barrier Reef, Christmas Island). I am currently based at the Australian National University.
Specialist marine skills: I am a highly qualified scientific and commercial SCUBA diver (British qualification: HSE IV). I also have SCUBA diving teaching skills (PADI dive master) enabling me to professionally train students and colleagues in the field. I have British/Australian and international powerboat handling qualifications. Routine scientific work includes: marine SCUBA surveys, intertidal surveys, biodiversity monitoring, underwater experiments, coral coring, and environmental monitoring.
- Lewis SE, Brodie JE, McCulloch MT, Mallela J, Jupiter SD, et al. (2012) An assessment of an environmental gradient using coral geochemical records, Whitsunday Islands, Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Marine Pollution Bulletin 65: 306-319.
- Mallela J (2011) Tobago: A Sustainable Future for Buccoo Reef. In: Burke L, Reytar K, Spalding M, Perry A (eds) Reefs at risk revisited. World Resources Institute. http://www.wri.org/publication/reefs-at-risk-revisited, Washington, pp130
- Mallela, J., Day, O., Parkinson, R. (2009) An assessment of reef health in Tobago. Caribbean Journal of Science. 45(2)
- Mallela J., Parkinson R (2008) Coral disease succession in Tobago: from yellow band to black band disease. Coral Reefs 27: 787
- Mallela, J., Harrod, C. (2008) Î´13C and Î´15N reveal significant differences in the coastal foodwebs of the seas surrounding the islands of Trinidad and Tobago. Marine Ecology Progress Series 368: 41-52
- Mallela, J. (2007) Coral reef encruster communities and carbonate production in cryptic and exposed coral reef habitats along a gradient of terrestrial disturbance. Coral Reefs. 26:775-785
- Mallela, J., Perry, C. T. (2007) A coral reef carbonate budget for two contrasting sites along a fluvial gradient, Rio Bueno, Jamaica. Coral Reefs. 26: 129-145.
- Mallela, J., Roberts, C., Harrod, C., Goldspink, C. (2007) Reef fish distributions along a fluvial turbidity gradient. Journal of Fish Biology. 70: 523-537.
- Mallela, J., Perry, C. T., Haley, M. P. (2004) Reef morphology and community composition along a turbid, fluvially influenced embayment, Rio Bueno, Jamaica. Caribbean Journal of Science, 40: 299-311.
- Marine and Environmental Scientist
- Jennie's Superstar of STEM (Science and Technology Australia) 2019-2020 (awarded 2018)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, 2017
- ARC DECRA Fellowship (2012-2017).