This ARC linkage project examines the seed and seedling ecology of Alpine plants with an aim to conseration and management under climate change
The Australian alpine is critically vulnerable to climate change. Many alpine plant species are under threat of extinction. We will investigate how climate change will affect the reproductive ecology and demography of Australian alpine flora. Our novel approach will place particular emphasis on maternal or cross-generational effects on viability offspring success. We will also develop state-of-the-art seed banking methods, based on germination, dormancy and longevity studies, for conservation of alpine seeds in seed banks and botanic gardens. Outcomes will lead to effective monitoring, management and conservation of Australia’s alpine flora, and educate a wide audience about conservation of our national alpine biodiversity.
For more on this topic see these papers from lab members:
- Hoyle, G. L., H. Cordiner, R. B. Good and A. B. Nicotra (2014). "Effects of reduced winter duration on seed dormancy and germination in six populations of the alpine herb Aciphyllya glacialis (Apiaceae)." Conservation Physiology 2(1): cou015.
- Briceño, V. F., D. Harris-Pascal, A. B. Nicotra, E. Williams and M. C. Ball (2014). "Variation in snow cover drives differences in frost resistance in seedlings of the alpine herb Aciphylla glacialis " Environmental and Experimental Botany in press.
- Hoyle, G. L., S. E. Venn, K. J. Steadman, R. B. Good, E. J. McAuliffe, E. R. Williams and A. B. Nicotra (2013). "Soil warming increases plant species richness but decreases germination from the alpine soil seed bank." Global Change Biology 19: 1549-1561.
- Hoyle GL, Steadman KJ, Daws MI, Adkins SW (2008) Physiological dormancy in forbs native to south-west Queensland: Diagnosis and classification. South African Journal of Botany 74(2), 208-213.
- Hoyle GL, Steadman KJ, Daws MI, Adkins SW (2008) Pre- and post-harvest influences on seed dormancy status of an Australian Goodeniaceae species, Goodenia fascicularis. Annals of Botany 102(1), 93-101.
- Hoyle GL, Daws MI, Steadman KJ, Adkins SW (2008) Pre- and post-harvest influences on physiological dormancy alleviation of an Australian Asteraceae species: Actinobole uliginosum (A. Gray) H. Eichler. Seed Science Research 18(4), 191-199.