Shigellosis or bacillary dysentery caused by Shigella spp is a significant public health concern. S. flexneri is the predominant species in endemic areas and the principal cause of morbidity and mortality in young children in developing countries. S. flexneri serotypes are determined by bacterial cell-surface polysaccharides called O-antigens. My group investigates the molecular mechanism of the O-antigen modification in S. flexneri by studying structure and function of the transferase proteins responsible for these modifications. We identify novel virulence factors from Shigella, and carry out functional genomics of its bacteriophages to discover factors not only involved in serotype conversion but also in Shigella pathogenesis. The information obtained is utilised to design more efficient and broad range vaccines against shigellosis.
Open to students
Functional genomics of serotype-converting bacteriophages of Shigella flexneri (Honours, Graduate, Higher degree by research)
Shigella virulence and vaccine development (Honours, Graduate, Higher degree by research)
Structural and functional analysis of glucosyl and O-acetyl transferases of Shigella flexneri (Honours, Graduate, Higher degree by research)
- George, D., Mathesius, U., Behm, C. and Verma, N.K. (2014) The periplasmic enzyme, AnsB, of Shigella flexneri modulates bacterial adherence to host epithelial cells. PLoS One 9(4):e94954
- Jakhetia, R., Talukder, K.A. and Verma, N.K. (2013) Isolation, characterization and comparative genomics of bacteriophage SfIV: a novel serotype converting phage from Shigella flexneri. BMC Genomics 14:677.
- Rusden, A.D., Stephenson, D.P. and Verma, N.K. (2013) Topological Investigation of Glucosyltransferase V in Shigella flexneri using the Substituted Cysteine Accessibility Method. Biochemistry 16;52(15):2655-2661.
- Thanweer F and Verma, N.K. (2012) Identification of critical residues of the serotype modifying O-acetyltransferase of Shigella flexneri. BMC Biochem.15: 13(1):13-21.
- Linterman, M., Beaton, L., Yu, D., Ramiscal, R., Srivastava, M., Hogan, J., Verma, N.K., Smyth M., Rigby, R. and Vinuesa, C.G. (2010) IL-21 acts directly on B cells to regulate Bcl-6 expression and germinal center responses. Journal of Experimental Medicine 207: 353 - 363.
- Stagg, R., Tang, Swee-Seong, Carlin, N.,Talukder, K., Cam, P. and Verma, N. K. (2009) A novel glucosyltransferase involved in O-antigen modification of Shigella flexneri serotype 1c. Journal of Bacteriology 191: 6612 - 6617.
- Korres, H. and Verma, N. K. (2006) Identification of essential loops and residues of Glucosyltransferase V (GtrV) of Shigella flexneri. Molecular Membrane Biology 23: 407-419.
- Lehane, A.M., Korres, H. and Verma N.K. (2005) Bacteriophage-encoded glucosyltransferase GtrII of Shigella flexneri : membrane topology and identification of critical residues. Biochemical J., 389: 137-143.
- Korres, H. and Verma, N. K. (2004) Topological analysis of glucosyltransferase GtrV of Shigella flexneri by a dual reporter system and identification of a unique reentrant loop. Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 22469-22476.
- Jennison, A.V. and Verma, N.K. (2004) Shigella flexneri infection: pathogenesis and vaccine development. FEMS Microbiology Reviews 28: 43-58.
- Allison, G.E., Angeles, D., Tran-Dinh, N. and Verma, N.K. (2002) The complete genome sequence of SfV, a serotype-converting temperate bacteriophage of Shigella flexneri. Journal of Bacteriology 184: 1974-1987.
- Allison, G.E. and Verma, N.K. (2000) Serotype-converting bacteriophages and O-antigen modification in Shigella flexneri. Trends in Microbiology 8: 17-23.