The Research School of Biology is devoted to the study of biological processes in plants, animals and humans. It is home to over 60 academics and their research groups (Labs), which for purposes of research support and administration are subdivided into three Divisions: Plant Sciences, Evolution, Ecology and Genetics, and Biomedical Sciences and Biochemistry.
The Research School of Biology supports academic groups with significant facilities and infrastructure, such as plant growth facilities, green houses, animal housing and a pool of large equipment. The School has a Mass Spectrometry Facility for metabolomics and proteomics and together with CSIRO Pant Industry houses the High Resolution Plant Phenomics Centre of the Australian Plant Phenomics Facility.
The Divisions and each of the infrastructure areas are supported by teams of professional staff. RSB academics are supported by grants from large variety of sources, and participate in external Centres and Units, including the:
- ARC Centre of Excellence for Plant Energy Biology
- ARC Centre of Excellence for Translational Photosynthesis
- Centre for Biodiversity Analysis
- Centre for Genomics, Metabolomics and Bioinformatics
- Centre for Biodiversity Analysis, and Computational Biology and Bioinformatics Unit