Marta completed her undergraduate studies at the University of Barcelona (Spain) and University of Helsinki (Finland). During her undergraduate research, she mostly worked on morphological evolution of snakes. She completed her MSc studies at the University of the Basque Country (Spain), but conducted a Masters project in the Keogh Lab. Marta did a PhD under the supervision of Prof. Scott Keogh on evolution of body size and shape in Australian frogs. Currently, she is a postdoc in the Keogh Lab.
Personal website: http://marta-vidal-garcia.weebly.com/
I am interested in morphological evolution, and the processes and mechanisms shaping trait diversification. I use different morphometric techniques in order to study temporal patterns of body size and shape diversification, mostly using the Australian frogs as a model system. I am also interested in kinematics, and how locomotion diversity is driven by morphology and ecological factors.
To know more about my research click here.
8. Hoops, D., Ullmann, J.F.P., Janke, A.L., Vidal-García, M., Stait-Gardner, T., Dwihapsari, Y., Merkling, T., Price, W.S., Endler, J.A., Whiting, M.J., Keogh, J.S. (2016) Sexual selection predicts brain structure in dragon lizards. Journal of Evolutionary Biology.
7. Openshaw, G., D'Amore, D., Vidal-García, M., Keogh, J.S. (2016) Combining geometric morphometric analyses of multiple 2D obervation views improves interpretation of evolutionary allometry and shape diversification in monitor lizard (Varanus) crania. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society
6. Vidal-García, M., Keogh, J.S. (2015) Convergent evolution across the Australian continent: Ecotype diversification drives morphological convergence in two distantly related clades of Australian frogs. Journal of Evolutionary Biology. 28: 2136-2151
5. Santos, X., Vidal-García, M., Brito, J.C., Fahd, S., Llorente, G.A., Martínez-Freiria, F., Parellada, X., Pleguezuelos, J.M., Sillero, N. (2014) Phylogeographic and environmental correlates support the cryptic function of the zigzag pattern in a European viper. Evolutionary Ecology. 1-16
4. Vidal-García, M., PG Byrne, JD Roberts, JS Keogh. (2014) The role of phylogeny and ecology in shaping morphology in 21 genera and 127 species of Australo-Papuan myobatrachid frogs. Journal of Evolutionary Biology. 27(1): 181-192
3. Chernenko, A., Vidal-García, M., Helantera, H. and Sundstrom, L. (2013) Colony take-over and brood survival in temporary social parasites of the ant genus Formica. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology, 67: 727-735
2. Llorente, G.A., Vidal-García, M., Garriga, N., Carranza, S., Pleguezuelos, J.M. and Santos, S. (2012) Lessons in a complex biogeographic scenario: morphological and molecular variation within Iberian Coronella austriaca (Reptilia: Colubridae). Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 106: 210-223
1. Santos, X., Feriche, M., León, R.; Filippakopoulou, A., Vidal-García, M., Llorente, G.A., Pleguezuelos, J.M. (2011). Tail breakage frequency as an indicator of predation risk for the aquatic snake Natrix maura. Amphibia-Reptilia, 32: 375-383